EAP 225 APs with OC200 Controller When Managed Wifi spped limited to 18Mbps

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

EAP 225 APs with OC200 Controller When Managed Wifi spped limited to 18Mbps

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
14 Reply
Re:EAP 225 APs with OC200 Controller When Managed Wifi spped limited to 18Mbps
2021-06-11 09:33:49
Yes That's correct ever since I Identified that the Controller was causing the slow down, I have been running them in Standalone mode I actually tried all of the Channel setting from 20/40/80 and auto I was suprised how few of the Radio Settings are available on the Controller
Options
2021-06-11 09:38:34

@MrTheJim 

What setting are you referring too that are missing from the controller?   is there something specific

Would you have any more details or diagnosis from your side you could provide us to help you with this issue?   For example the details on the device you have connected that shows the slow speed, what speed the device reports in windows/linux network connection, a few examples of the config you have applied to the controller etc.

Options
2021-06-11 09:56:00

@Philbert On the Controller when you select the AP in Devices and go to the Radio Settings you only get a subset of the options in standalone mode

The Main on being you cannot select the Mode that the Radio uses. As Ideally you would want to not use 802.11A or 802.11B mixed mode, only N/AC.

I'm not sure on how the EAP225 does it's antenna allocations only that usually with WIFI if client connect at A or B it often pulls that antenna down to that speed effecting all clients on that antenna. N/AC is supposed to use Multiple antenna to get the higher through put so a single antenna being pulled low would have less of an effect.

How ever it seems in Controller mode I only seeing 802.11b speeds so something if effecting the mode selection in my opinion.

I don't recall at the moment but I don't think you can alter the DTIM/RTS/Beacon & Fragmentation settings either.

I'm actually using the SpeedTest.net App on IOS to perform the tests, as the User who was complaining about the speed was mainly accessing via the iPhone.

Then as a comparison I use a wired Windows 10 PC and the speedtest.net website version to confirm the limiting factor is the WAN speed.

Options
2021-06-11 10:25:58 - last edited 2021-06-11 10:26:18

@MrTheJim 

You can control the joining of A/B/G clients to the wifi via the controller under the SSID settings (screen below).

Disabling CCK rates will stop any B grade devices connecting, however it wont stop OFDM devices (A and G).  Therefore the way to do this is turn on the minimum data rate control and set it for 54.

As A and G top out at 54 this should kill them off also.

Hopefully that helps!

Fragmentation etc is under SETTING > BEACON CONTROL  (along with airtime fairness), I tend to enable airtime fairness on 2.4ghz as its generally slow and heavily congested at best of times so this helps greatly!

I'm not sure on how the EAP225 does it's antenna allocations only that usually with WIFI if client connect at A or B it often pulls that antenna down to that speed effecting all clients on that antenna. N/AC is supposed to use Multiple antenna to get the higher through put so a single antenna being pulled low would have less of an effect.

This generally depends on the client and their card.     One of my mobile phones for example has only a 1x1 AC card and is therefore restricted to 433mbps, a 2x2 would get 866   3x3  1299 etc etc

The radios in the AP wont be specifically deterministic for the device, they work independently as they are separate radios (MIMO as its known).  The EAPs are actually MU-MIMO in that they can handle multi users at the same time.    Airtime fairness would help you with this, but stopping slower devices connecting is likely a better option.

How ever it seems in Controller mode I only seeing 802.11b speeds so something if effecting the mode selection in my opinion.

How are you determining this is B speeds? Do you mean speed tests are coming in at 18mbps or is the actual wifi connection at that speed?    what does the controller report the device speed connected at when active, the Rx and Tx rates?  (screen below for example).    Band Steering usually is a good idea, however some apple devices I've had issues steering them to the 5ghz range.

Options
Related Articles