Email Server on Omada Software controller not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-16 17:43:39 - last edited 2021-06-18 09:55:01
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 4.3.x / 4.2.x

Hi all,

I've been looking at making the jump to upgrade to the SDN controller.

I currently run version 3.2.10 and this works fine with the current Email settings. However all the testing I've done on version 4.3.x / 4.2, I am unable to get the Email server to work.

When trying to connect out, i get the following error:

2021-06-12 15:48:27 [email-task-0] [INFO]-[SourceFile:101] - Send mail exception Could not connect to SMTP host: smtp.gmail.com, port: 465

However the server can connect and resolve the FQDN correctly:

root@test:/opt/tplink/EAPController/logs# nc -v smtp.gmail.com 465
Connection to smtp.gmail.com 465 port [tcp/submissions] succeeded!

I am using the exact same email settings as previously enabled on the older version. (this is the same app password, i even did a fresh install of version 3.2.10 on a new server to ensure it wasn't an issue with host identifier etc). The version 4.x is a fresh install as well, so no config has been imported over.

I've disabled the firewall on the server in the hope that maybe some traffic was being denied, but no. It still doesn't work. I've tried it on the following OS versions:

Ubuntu 18:04 / Ubuntu 20:04 - MongoDB version 3.6.3

Can anyone help point me in the direction on how i may go about getting this operational?

I rely on the Email Server for log updates etc.

Many thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Email Server on Omada Software controller not working-Solution
2021-06-18 09:54:49 - last edited 2021-06-18 09:55:01

Dear @AaronN,

AaronN wrote

However all the testing I've done on version 4.3.x / 4.2, I am unable to get the Email server to work.

2021-06-12 15:48:27 [email-task-0] [INFO]-[SourceFile:101] - Send mail exception Could not connect to SMTP host: smtp.gmail.com, port: 465

The issue has been reported to the R&D team and here is the update:

This is an incompatible issue with JDK. The new Java 8 Update 291 (8u291) disables TLS 1.0 and 1.1 by default, which is used for SMTP service by the Omada Controller. Reference: https://bugs.java.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=JDK-8202343

The R&D team will fix the issue in the subsequent updates later.

At present, you could try to manually modify the file "jre\lib\security\java.security" as the temporary solution:

1. Find "jdk.tls.disabledAlgorithms" as shown in the picture below, delete "TLSv1, TLSv1.1," and save;
  2. then restart the Controller.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Email Server on Omada Software controller not working-Solution
2021-06-18 09:54:49 - last edited 2021-06-18 09:55:01

Dear @AaronN,

AaronN wrote

However all the testing I've done on version 4.3.x / 4.2, I am unable to get the Email server to work.

The issue has been reported to the R&D team and here is the update:

This is an incompatible issue with JDK. The new Java 8 Update 291 (8u291) disables TLS 1.0 and 1.1 by default, which is used for SMTP service by the Omada Controller. Reference: https://bugs.java.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=JDK-8202343

The R&D team will fix the issue in the subsequent updates later.

At present, you could try to manually modify the file "jre\lib\security\java.security" as the temporary solution:

1. Find "jdk.tls.disabledAlgorithms" as shown in the picture below, delete "TLSv1, TLSv1.1," and save;
  2. then restart the Controller.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Email Server on Omada Software controller not working
2021-11-21 11:40:57

@Fae 

Hello,

I am new to the omada controller, and stuck on this email problem as well. I've installed 4 of them now for different clients and can not get the units to send emails. 

I see the solution described above but i am completely unsure how you trace and edit that file. 

More detail please. 

Thank you

Marcus

Options
2021-12-08 19:45:04
Any update on this? The temporary solution outlined didn't do anything for me, even after rebooting the server. Thanks!
Options
2021-12-09 02:08:34

Dear @dannyjoe,

dannyjoe wrote

Any update on this? The temporary solution outlined didn't do anything for me, even after rebooting the server. Thanks!

Please check the solution post below and verify if your case is exactly the same as the Issue Description/Phenomenon stated there.

[Solution] SMTP of Omada Controller failed after upgrading to Java_8u291 or OpenJDK_1.8.0_292

If the solution doesn't work for your case, your email server issue is probably different from what is described here. Could you please kindly elaborate on your email server problem and tell us the version of your Controller & Java so that we can try to help you further?

Options
2022-02-02 19:09:29
Controller 5.0.30 and Java jre1.8.0_321. Tried the manual fix. Didn't work either. My settings work flawlessly with my Synology NAS
Options
2022-02-08 07:44:48

Dear @RCouineau,

RCouineau wrote

Controller 5.0.30 and Java jre1.8.0_321. Tried the manual fix. Didn't work either. My settings work flawlessly with my Synology NAS

As mentioned in this thread.

If the cause of the problem is the same, the solution here should work for your case.

I assume that the SMTP issue you encountered is not the same issue described here (the cause of the problem is different).

To figure out the issue, could you please elaborate on the issue and attach an image of the mail server settings by start a new thread from here?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4151

Replies: 6

Related Articles