Bought in to Omada for home network, some thoughts and requests

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-17 15:00:22

I had been contemplating upgrading my home network off of an old mesh system to something I can have better control over and after a few weeks of research decided to buy-in to the Omada system. It's been working pretty well so far, but there's a few bits of feedback / questions / suggestions I've come up with.

First, what I have:

- ER-7206 Router

- SG2210MP 8-port POE Switch

- 2x EAP-245 v3

I have three devices connected directly to the router: Raspberry Pi 4, Intel NUC, Synology NAS; and the EAPs are connected to the switch as well as a few cable drops from around the house. On the Pi 4 I'm running the software controller plus Pi-hole, and on the NUC I'm running various other services.

Thoughts / issues:

- Is there a way to manage/view *all* DHCP reservations? Currently, I have to click on each client to see what I've handed out. This is harder when some clients are hanging on to an old lease (looking at you, epson printer and macbook); and harder still when the clients isn't currently connected. I can check the Known Clients list in Insights...but there's no column for "last IP" or anything.

- Can't seem to assign a static IP to *devices*. My router is at 10.0.0.1 and I'd like to put the switch and the access points at 10.0.0.{2-4}.

- Can't assign a single label DHCP domain. I can use `home.lan`, for instance...but not just `lan`. Any reason why that is?

- Not sure if the previous one even *matters*, because the router doesn't seem to support answering DNS for internal client names. This means I can't use conditional forwarding in the pi-hole, and even without the pi-hole I can't seem to resolve bare hostnames (or hostnames with the DHCP domain).

- The device page for my switch shows the list of clients connected to each port. But I can't see the same details for the ports on my router.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Bought in to Omada for home network, some thoughts and requests
2021-06-19 01:15:21 - last edited 2021-06-19 01:15:36

@avidal 

- Is there a way to manage/view *all* DHCP reservations? Currently, I have to click on each client to see what I've handed out. This is harder when some clients are hanging on to an old lease (looking at you, epson printer and macbook); and harder still when the clients isn't currently connected. I can check the Known Clients list in Insights...but there's no column for "last IP" or anything.

This is apparently on the roadmap, a few of us have asked for this and its being added in a future update (so im told)

- Can't seem to assign a static IP to *devices*. My router is at 10.0.0.1 and I'd like to put the switch and the access points at 10.0.0.{2-4}.

APs -  Go to  DEVICES   select the device   right panel   CONFIG   IP SETTING   set manual in there

Switch -  Go to  DEVICES   select the device   right panel   CONFIG     VLAN INTERFACE    click on the edit button beside LAN or whatever vlan you have it on for management

- Can't assign a single label DHCP domain. I can use `home.lan`, for instance...but not just `lan`. Any reason why that is?

- Not sure if the previous one even *matters*, because the router doesn't seem to support answering DNS for internal client names. This means I can't use conditional forwarding in the pi-hole, and even without the pi-hole I can't seem to resolve bare hostnames (or hostnames with the DHCP domain).

Pretty much yea..

- The device page for my switch shows the list of clients connected to each port. But I can't see the same details for the ports on my router.

Not uncommon to not display this, its a feature rather than a bug.. seen it with other vendors also.    Routers are designed to connect to trunks for switches, not clients and therefore some vendors don't slow clients on the ports.    I have fortinet and Meru, the same there.. only shows trunks or switches

Options
Re:Bought in to Omada for home network, some thoughts and requests
2021-06-22 08:29:33

avidal wrote

@avidal 

Hi, Fae have posted latest firmware and seems solved the NAT loopback issue

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/266112

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1564

Replies: 2

Related Articles