Connect AX20 to telephone port DSL.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-15 16:56:25 - last edited 2021-08-17 07:36:51
Model: Archer AX20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: N/A

Hi, I have recently bought a AX20 router, but it has a WAN port instead of my old router, which had a DSL port. I have bought a cable that goes from DSL to ethernet, but it is not working, I think this is because it has 4 pins instead of 8. What should I do?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Connect AX20 to telephone port DSL.-Solution
2021-08-15 17:03:35 - last edited 2021-08-17 07:36:51

@Samsell 

The AX20 has no DSL modem built in. That means you will still have to use the old router in addition to your AX20. If possible switch the old router to modem bridge mode and use an Ethernet cable to make a connection from the old router's active LAN port to the AX20's "Internet" (WAN) port. Then configure the "Internet" settings of the AX20 appropriately.

By the way, can you tell us the make and model number of your old DSL router? Then the people in this forum may assist you in more detail.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Connect AX20 to telephone port DSL.-Solution
2021-08-15 17:03:35 - last edited 2021-08-17 07:36:51

@Samsell 

The AX20 has no DSL modem built in. That means you will still have to use the old router in addition to your AX20. If possible switch the old router to modem bridge mode and use an Ethernet cable to make a connection from the old router's active LAN port to the AX20's "Internet" (WAN) port. Then configure the "Internet" settings of the AX20 appropriately.

By the way, can you tell us the make and model number of your old DSL router? Then the people in this forum may assist you in more detail.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Connect AX20 to telephone port DSL.
2021-08-15 17:32:21

@woozle 

My old router is a talk talk hg633 router. Could you tell me how I would turn it into a modem?

Options
2021-08-16 15:36:28

@Samsell 

I've just had a quick look at the TalkTalk forum and according to what other users say, that particullar HG633 router doesn't offer a proper modem-only mode.

Given that, the only other options are to leave the HG633 as it is, connect the AX20 to one of the LAN ports of the HG633 via a standard Ethernet cable and configure the AX20 to either work in Wireless Router Mode or Access Point Mode. (to switch between these modes go to the Advanced menu -> System -> Operation Mode)

Some users prefer the Access Point Mode, because it will save one incidence of network address translation (NAT), as two times of NAT (double NAT) is apparently an issue for some video game consoles. It would also make port forwarding simpler.
The drawback of switching the AX20 to Access Point Mode is that you will lose most of the advanced features of the router.

By the way, if the HG633 and the AX20 are to be placed right next to each other, then it's probably a good idea to switch the HG633's Wi-Fi off.

Options
2021-08-17 07:35:45

@woozle 

I have set up the router in wireless mode and it is working nicely. Thank you for the help🙂

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 740

Replies: 4

Related Articles