Equipment Hangs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Equipment Hangs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Equipment Hangs
Equipment Hangs
2013-04-10 07:11:47
Region : Others

Model : TL-WR941ND

Hardware Version : V3

Firmware Version : 3.13.9 Build 120201 Rel.54965n

ISP :

Hello all.

We are trying to use a TL-WR941ND purchased about a month ago, but it keeps hanging, usually within a day or so of operation.
To be clear: by "hanging" I mean the device stops providing wireless services (its SSID is no longer visible in WiFi clients) and becomes nonresponsive to pings or control access attempts (via settings web page) from the internal network connections.

The device is used in a very simple scenario, where it's being employed as a simple access point, not as a router. As such, the device's configuration is as follows:
* WAN interface is configured with a dummy static IP (10.10.10.10/24) with gateway and DNS set to the internal IP address of the actual routing device connected to the external world.
* LAN interface is configured with an IP address inside the actual internal IP subnet (192.168.1.0/24).
* DHCP is also disabled as this service is already provided.
* Wireless settings: radio enabled, SSID broadcast enabled, WDS disabled, 11bgn mixed mode, auto channel width, max TX rate, channel 7 (manually set). Using WPA-PSK security.

Rest of the settings are unchanged from their default values, as the device isn't being used as an IP router by any client - just as a WiFi/Ethernet layer 2 bridge. We're using what appears to be TP-Link's latest stock firmware for the device.

The settings described above appear to provide the connectivity required by the WiFi clients. However, the device continuously hangs within a day or so of operation, requiring someone to physically attend to the device and cold-restarting it (disconnecting it from power and reconnecting it) to regain an operational state.

After performing a cold restart, the system log shows nothing beyond the startup entries: "System started" entry followed by security info entries regarding enabled protocols. Then the device appears to work well for a while, until it hangs again, forcing again someone to attend to the device, etc.

If anyone has any insights about this behaviour, why this happens or how can this be solved, I'd appreciate the input.

Thanks,
Sagie.
Options
10 Reply
Re:Equipment Hangs
2013-04-12 17:36:02
How many clients devices are connected to the TL-WR941ND ? What are they ? Maybe you can reduce the amounts of them to have a try ...
Options
2013-04-20 11:03:53
I am having the exact same problem as you - I'm using the unit as an AP as well with similar settings and it hangs after 12 - 24 hours.

I have the exact same version and firmware as you too.
Options
2013-04-20 20:51:08
Really ? One of my friend have a TL-WR941ND. It works perfectly!;)
Options
2013-04-26 08:47:53
Having a similar case.
We extended a already existing network into wireless.
First Three AP´s
And then extended with another AP and the WR941N in a AP role.
We have the WR941 because last summer our router died and now we have something on supply that can function as a router in case it happens again.

Net consists of:
Gateway on 10.128.12.250
one WR941N v2/v3 @ 3.13.9 Build 120201 Rel.54965n
four WA901N's (3x-V1, 1x-V2)

[CODE]WR941N:
WAN (Not Connected) Dynamic IP
[*]IP: 0.0.0.0
LAN (To Switch) Static IP
IP: 10.128.0.220
Wireless SSID: Global/Net
[*]Channel: 1
[*]11bgn mixed
[*]Channel width: 20mhz
[*]Max Tx rate: 130mb's
[*]WPA2 - P

DHCP Disabled
[*](filled in the settings for stand alone mode)

WR901N's
LAN (To Switch) Static IP
[*]IP"10.128.12.222 / 10.128.12.227
[*]Gateway: 10.128.12.250

Wireless SSID: Global/Net
[*]Channel: 5, 9 & 13
[*]11bgn mixed
[*]Channel width: 20mhz
[*]Max Tx rate: 130mb's
[*]WPA2 - P
[/CODE]

Most of the time the userload is one remote network (using a WA90N-v1 in client mode), four laptops and a few tablets.
Up to :confused: a dozen laptops and tablets.
The network has no problems at all.
But during the nighttime when there is only like two people working. Suddenly one of them locks-up. and needs to be hard rebooted (cut from power).
No access to the webinterface and no reply to ping.
So now i had to hard reboot them (cut power) to have it fixed. They did not had any signal up and all the lights where On and not blinking.
This time it was both the WR941N and a WA901N/v1.

We have had about a dozen of them since we added the WR941N and the WA901N-v2. Just wondering how this could happen.
I don´t mind having devices rebooting themselves to stay functioning. But not responding and requiring a Hard-reboot is annoying to do remotely.

Awaiting reply.

P.S.
OP: We have found that if you let the WAN have any config (especially the gateway) and accidentally plugin the WAN port to the LAN. the whole device becomes a packet black-hole.
Clients connecting trough the WR941 should get there gateway from the DHCP, unless you want your router/AP to have internet best to leave the WAN settings untouched and in Dynamic mode (it only tries to get dhcp requests from the WAN port).
Options
Same problem!
2013-04-28 02:48:42
I have the same problem. I just bought the router. It stop providing wireless connection after 30 min. My Router is the WR941ND v3.8 with the current firmware and I only use wireless to provide internet access using DHCP.
Options
2013-04-28 05:25:31
Same issue. Runs for hours/days/sometimes a week. then no connections allowed, no SSID. Have to unplug it and plug it back in. Everything works great after the minute or so it needs to start up. Funny thing is, some of the established connections will continue working. It seems like it runs out of some type of resource to allow new connections. Since every device repolls at some point it eventually locks everyone out.
Options
weekly hang ups
2013-06-17 06:39:31
I have been using a TL-WR941ND v3 router for years. Upgraded the firmware to fix a problem with my Galaxy 7" tab.
Since then the system hangs once a week, denying access to all wireless
devices. It requires power to be removed to recover. The router shows up on all wireless devices with a strong signal but will not allow any to connect.
I am planning on backing down the firmware and using a second router for my Galaxy tab. In the mean time it is on a timer that powers it down early every morning.
It seems as though tplink pays very little attention to customer problems.
My problem is with firmware release TL-WR941ND_V2_V3_120201
Options
2013-09-05 22:42:11
An update regarding this matter - I was able to somewhat mitigate this problem by changing the following parameters in the configuration:

[*]WLAN channel was changed from 7 to 13.
[*]The WAN Default gateway used to be set to the internal (LAN) address (192.168.1.x) of the router that actually provides the Internet access. I changed it to some dummy IP address (which doesn't correspond to any actual device) in the static WAN subnet I specified (10.10.10.x).
[*]I defined the 2nd DNS server entry to another device in the internal (LAN) subnet (192.168.1.x), so now two DNS servers are defined, both in the LAN subnet.

With the updated configuration, the router now hangs once every a couple of weeks, or so, whereas before the configuration change it used to hang almost daily.
So - an improvement, but a problem still remains.

Another observation - I've noticed the that when the router functions well the "SYS" LED blinks, but when the router stops working "SYS" is constantly lit.

The router (again, really functioning merely as a layer 2 bridge) serves in total no more than 6 devices (smartphones and PCs) concurrently via the wireless and wired interfaces, most of the time only 2 or 3 devices are being served.
Options
2013-10-07 16:33:46
I have the same problem, in different scenarios, with different routers, the 740 and 841. The 841 is very bad, about 10 times in a day... Is incredible.
I want to use the DD WRT but I need IP QoS, not simple QoS, IP QoS for limiting the total bandwidth
Options
2013-12-12 06:10:42
Well, I've changed to DD-WRT a few months ago... No more problems.
Last time I buy TP-Link.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 988

Replies: 10

Related Articles