Sacrifices without omada router and/or managed switches?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-23 14:59:03
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

What features or capabilities do I forfeit if I forgo an omada router (e.g. R605) and use my existing Netgear all-in-one router with the radios turned off? I figured I would eventually replace it, but wanted to get a sense of what I'm leaving on the table at the moment.

Downstream of the router, I have a managed switch (TL-SG2008P) with OC200, two eap245 v3, poe ip camera, and an unmanaged switch for my media cabinet. This unmanaged switch in the media cabinet has a handful of IoT devices and game consoles. Similarly, what features am I missing if I don't swap that unmanaged switch for a managed one?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Sacrifices without omada router and/or managed switches?
2021-09-23 16:59:01 - last edited 2021-09-23 18:34:57

@picklericky1337 

Sorry to bump back the question,  but plz try to answer these 

1 )   Why do you want to keep your current router ? 

2 )   What do you need of functionality of that router the ER605 might not do ?

3 )  You already have  (TL-SG2008P) with OC200, two eap245 v3, poe ip camera, and an unmanaged switch for my media cabinet, so why not just at a ER605 ?

biggest plus is you can easily set the settings and things you want ,   setting Vlan's (split your camera's from IOT etc... ) , DHCP ( fixed ip's ) etc.. its all integrated , restrictions  , routing , FW ( although limited ) ,  if you have a managed switch in 1 location and 1 in another ,  you can easily handle the vlan's etc... while still trunking the vlans over 1 cable and then split in your cabinet. 

for me ,  the router was less then 10 % of the investment I did in the omada setup when I made the plunge ,  sure I probably could just keep my router to 'route'

it didn't seem to make sense. 

Options