ER605 Not logging WAN failure

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-21 03:18:03
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: ER605(UN)_V1_1.1.1_20210723

I've come across several bugs having to do with load balancing and failover, some of which I have seen others post about here. I have been able to work around all of them except this one...

Unit in standalone mode with two WAN connections using Load Balancing. WAN failures are usually *not* being shown in the system log. The router "knows" about the failure since it is clearly shown in the "online detection" tab, it just doesn't show in the system log most of the time. It does log properly about 1 in 10 times; the other times it shows no indication of the failure before, during, or after.

I have tried different types of failures (disconnecting the Ethernet cable, powering off the WAN modem, disconnecting the fiber) on both WAN ports. Failure shows up under the online detection tab but never makes it to the log. I have tried waiting for up to 30 minutes during the failure to see it it just takes a while. I have toggled every setting on the "System Log" tab; even the ones that should have no effect. I have rebooted the router countless times. I have played with settings that should not have anything to to with logging (Application Optimized Routing, etc.). Nothing has worked. It recognizes the failure but doesn't bother to log it quite literally about 90% or the time.

Since the standalone mode has no other mechanism to notify me of a WAN outage this silly bug is an absolute deal breaker for me. I'd like to know if this is a known bug and it is being addressed (before my return period is up) and/or if it also affects the ER7206 before I bother to order one of them and have to return it as well.

Thank you for any info!

Options
6 Reply
Re:ER605 Not logging WAN failure
2021-10-22 14:13:18

I received a prompt, non-automated, and informative reply from TP-Link support. Actual support is so rare these days that I must give kudos for that.

Unfortunately the answer is this:

"We did the test. The log of ER605 is not recorded according to the results of online detection, but is determined according to the connection status in System Status. When the WAN port status is link down, it will be recorded in log. Every time the network cable directly connected to the ER605WAN port is plugged in or unplugged, the log will show the record. After unplugging the network cable, please check the corresponding WAN port status in the system status. Is it link down? If so, check if there is any record in the log."

So apparently this is a feature, not a bug.

I find this absurd. Perhaps it is different when using Omada (something I do not wish to do), but when in stand alone mode this unit provides no way of informing the user that its primary function, namely multi WAN support, has failed for any reason other than the cord physically being removed. Any other type of failure is just not worth mentioning or being informed of I guess. No email, no pop-up, no mention in the log. Nothing at all. By design.

I'll leave this info here for the next person who goes looking for it, but as for me I'll be moving along. Shame, since I really wanted to like this unit, but I need to know when my WAN is down.

Options
2022-01-16 17:36:16

@CutterKin Just one more notch on the "Sub par logging by TP-Link hardware", you are not alone in finding this a deal breaker when considering TP-Link hard/Software for Enterprise settings. And just to asure you, it's not a "standalone" issue, happens also when adopted to a controller. indecision

Options
2022-02-05 21:13:18

Thank you for reporting. I was looking for information about this. 

Options
2022-02-13 14:25:15

It would be great to see this addressed in an update. While consistently logging this item may not be critical to functionality, not having it in place is blocking adoption of your hardware by some thoughtful users.  

Options
2022-08-02 04:44:37

I find it a deal breaker too. Without proper logging of primary WAN failure it is not possible to raise issue with ISP about how frequently this is happening.

My primary ISP, I am guessing, fails about once in two hours for a minute or so. If ER605 logs these failures properly i will be able cite the log and complain with proper time stamps. 

Options
2022-08-02 18:17:44

Wow, what a big thing to leave out. Count me as another user that will be returning this thing to Amazon. I really thank you all for posting about it here because I just spent the last few hours trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, but it truns out the problem is in the router.

How did this get past testing and quality control? I think you all are being way too polite about it. This is not a small bug to me - it is  a flagrent defect and I can't believe that TP-Link is just ignoring it since it looks like it was reported almost a yeat ago. Completely horrible design decision and I guess at least I found it out early on so I don't waste anymore time with this junk. TP-Link you should fix this dumb issue.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1132

Replies: 6