Trouble with RSSI Threshhild

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-22 05:38:24 - last edited 2021-11-15 05:16:56
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.9.1 Build 20210721 Rel.39263

Hi,

we are struggling with Client connectivity wrt poor signal, despite we had covered our office with 4xEAP620 and 1xEAP660.

The real challenge is that clients connect with APs with lower signal despite the fact that there is a nearby AP or better signals are available even with more than one AP other than the associated poor signal AP.

Despite we tried to reconnect client several time or restart the APs and controller as well.

The one suggested option of RSSI threshold has appeared a havoc in fact. When enabled this option the clients start to associate with same AP and upon receiving lower signal the "network access denied" appears and do not go for the AP with better signal despite we observed the signal reception is at par of threshold nearby to those clients. This force us to disable RSSI eventually.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Trouble with RSSI Threshhild-Solution
2021-10-24 05:54:17 - last edited 2021-11-15 05:16:56

@Philbert 

Yes the Fast roaming is enabled and most devices are windows 10 and android 8.0+, so believe roaming support must be there, but I can't confidently respond this. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-10-28 10:20:14 - last edited 2021-11-15 05:17:42

@ZeroOne 

Alternatively you can modify the SSID of each AP with SSID override, and user can select SSID to the best available at their location.

I haven't tired it yet, bu this is one of the available option with Omada Controller.

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:Trouble with RSSI Threshhild
2021-10-23 13:43:24
Have you enabled Fast Roaming and / or AI Roaming on your controller? Do the devices you are trying to connect support roaming?
Options
2021-10-24 05:54:17 - last edited 2021-11-15 05:16:56

@Philbert 

Yes the Fast roaming is enabled and most devices are windows 10 and android 8.0+, so believe roaming support must be there, but I can't confidently respond this. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-10-24 14:51:32

@Cellcom 

This seems a strange one, never had to fiddle with RSSI setting when roaming is active, usually it would just connect and roam as instructed.  

Are you using a single SSID on all devices via the controller and have you band steering enabled also?   Try it without band steering to see if that helps, or better disable the 2.4 / then 5ghz and see how that looks.

What is happening at the client side?  

Any screenshot you have would help greatly.

Options
2021-10-25 04:41:08

@Philbert 

Are you using a single SSID on all devices via the controller and have you band steering enabled also?  

Yes Single SSID "SCS_BYOD" is configured via controller, and band steering is enabled too, but problem is faced with the clients supported only 2.4GHz band, and even there is no any other client is connected when there is no any other user connected in the network. 

As per below image in which client is having single band (2.4GHz) wifi supported only and when RSSI threshold (-74dBm) is enabled, and despite better signals from two APs (-60 dbm and -65dBm), it denied to connect, and if disable RSSI, it associates with an AP with recived signal -76dBm, as shown in below images.

Options
2021-10-25 12:30:42

@Cellcom 

i'm facing the same issue also with controller OC200 and 10 EAP 225.

clients are facing an issue that bad signal and speed, i have found that those clients are connecting to far APs meanwhile neasrby EAPs are closer to those clients.

one SSID for both 2.4 & 5, roaming is enabled, band steering is enabled.

i will try to enable load balance so the EAPs will not connect clients with RSSI less than -70 and i will check and update.

in addition 2.4 chanel for some APs almost utilized with sometimes more than 80 and 90%.

thanks

Options
2021-10-28 04:03:18

@ZeroOne 

The issue seems resolved partially by enabling AI roaming (though fast roaming was already enabled).

Then we swapped the APs, and seems this has resolved the issue.

We are observing this since 48 hours, and so for it is stable now, with every client having better signal now.

Options
2021-10-28 09:58:13

@Cellcom 

thank you for the update.

i will check at the OC200, but i don't thing that i have this option, i will check it and i will check if i have to upgrade firmware for it

many thanks

Options
2021-10-28 10:20:14 - last edited 2021-11-15 05:17:42

@ZeroOne 

Alternatively you can modify the SSID of each AP with SSID override, and user can select SSID to the best available at their location.

I haven't tired it yet, bu this is one of the available option with Omada Controller.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-10-28 10:49:57

@Cellcom 

this is a living for university students with two floors (1 OC200 and 10 EAP 225 APs), EAP225 APs are installed at the corridor in each floor.

first of all, i'm wanna to isolate each floor with its SSID & VLAN to avoid any broadcast issues, so if i override the SSID on each EAP i think i will lost the availability to isolate broadcast issues and i can't assign a VLAN for each EAP with override, is it right?

my problem as you described, clients are connected to far EAP at the same time there is a nearby EAP with less utilization "far EAP has for example 8 clients and the nearby EAP has only two clients!"

thanks

Options
2021-10-28 11:50:27

@ZeroOne 

Well it will be your choice either you want to assign different VLAN or put it into same VLAN.

With this you can at least force the clients to select only best available one, without relying centralized SSIDs made by controller.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1330

Replies: 11

Related Articles