Controller v5.0.15 - no clients and then device status say managed by others

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-03 08:52:39 - last edited 2021-12-17 12:11:54
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20210723 Rel.64359

Has anyone successfully upgraded to v5.0.15 of the controller?

Today I upgraded (as I have done for the previous versions successfully) on my Windows 10. After restoring config from backup, the clients were not showing up in the list. So I force provisioned the devices. Still no luck.

I then uninstalled the controller and reinstalled (restored the previous backup), but now I am in a worse position. The devices now say "managed by others". The mistake I made was not creating another back up before uninstalling. I guess every install of the controller creates a unique identifier which get's set on the devices when provisioned? A reinstall would mean another identifier causing failure in adoption.

I suspect my only option is to reset my devices and rebuild my network, unless someone has any other ideas I can try.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Controller v5.0.15 - no clients and then device status say managed by others-Solution
2021-12-17 12:11:40 - last edited 2021-12-17 12:11:54

Dear @HN116,

HN116 wrote

The original problem of no clients in the list is still there. Also, when I navigate to the insight page, I get the "General error" message.

I see a lot of NullPointerExceptions in the logs.

As an update, this issue has been fixed in Controller v5.0.29.

Omada Software Controller_v5.0.29_Window has been released on December 17, 2021

Thank you for your attention!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Controller v5.0.15 - no clients and then device status say managed by others
2021-11-04 02:34:00

@HN116 You can try to click on “adopt”, and when it asks you to enter the username/password, you can enter the username/password from Site----device account to have a try. Otherwise, you can only reset your device and reconfigure it.

Options
2021-11-04 03:36:37

Dear @HN116,

HN116 wrote

I then uninstalled the controller and reinstalled (restored the previous backup), but now I am in a worse position. The devices now say "managed by others". The mistake I made was not creating another back up before uninstalling. I guess every install of the controller creates a unique identifier which get's set on the devices when provisioned? A reinstall would mean another identifier causing failure in adoption.

Please try manually adopt the devices, the username and password can be found under Settings -> Site -> Device Account

The upgrading process of controller v5.0.15 was successful on my side, the issue you are experiencing sounds unusual, I'd like to escalate your case to the TP-Link support team for further investigation. They will reach you via your registered email address shortly, please pay attention to your email box later.

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, I'd encourage you to share it with the community.

Thank you so much for your cooperation and support!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-11-04 04:31:26

Thank you Fae.

The manual adoption worked fine. I had no idea about this method.

The original problem of no clients in the list is still there. Also, when I navigate to the insight page, I get the "General error" message.

Cheers 

Options
Re:Controller v5.0.15 - no clients and then device status say managed by others-Solution
2021-12-17 12:11:40 - last edited 2021-12-17 12:11:54

Dear @HN116,

HN116 wrote

As an update, this issue has been fixed in Controller v5.0.29.

Omada Software Controller_v5.0.29_Window has been released on December 17, 2021

Thank you for your attention!

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-01-22 19:18:06

@Fae 

Just transitioned over to the Omada ecosystem and I didn't know how to get back my ER605, because for some unknown reason the device status changed to "Managed by others", until I came upon this post!  Thanks Fae!

Options
2022-01-24 05:42:16

Dear @rcchan77,

rcchan77 wrote

Just transitioned over to the Omada ecosystem and I didn't know how to get back my ER605, because for some unknown reason the device status changed to "Managed by others", until I came upon this post!  Thanks Fae!

Was your ER605 managed by other controller before?

Or did you uninstall your controller and reinstall it before you get the status "Managed by others"?

Generally, we can re-adopt the Omada device with the previous Device Account, have you tried it?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1204

Replies: 6