Question about management networks and VLAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-22 14:44:51
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 5.0.15

I have now spent almost two full days trying to figure out how to properly configure a multi-vLAN network deployment with Omada.  I started by defining all of my networks as VLANs on my router (third party).  All VLANS are tagged on a single interface from the router to my TL-SG3428 switch.  The switch is configured on that port to also map all those same VLANs which I defined in the software.  When they were setup as VLANS in Omada, nothing worked.  I could not get any communication going, not even the management network.  If I changed my LANs to interface types, I was able to get the various VLANS working to a degree in the sense that I could setup untagged ports and get clients connected and communicating on their VLAN.  However, I was never able to get DHCP working on more than one of the VLANs at a time.  I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, I've watched several walkthrough videos on youtube, I understand the configuration but just can't seem to find what I'm doing wrong.  

My goals are:

• Setup a management VLAN for all management IP's including those for the TP-Link products on the network.  I'm confused as to whether or not htis needs to be default/native network based or a standard VLAN will work (I haven't gotten either option to work so far).  
  • I want to be able to access the management VLAN and related IPs from my main trusted VLAN but no other VLAN.
  • I want to define and trunk all VLANs on my router to the TP-link switch, which will then have another same model switch also connected in another segment but sharing the same VLAN list.  It will be connected via a trunked port off the main switch.  
  • I want most of the switch ports untagged for my trusted internal VLAN, while others will be trunk ports for switch to switch communication.  
  • If I can't get the management network to cooperate, I'm okay with using the internal trusted VLAN for management IPs, but need to figure out how to make that work across all my TP-Link devices.  

I'm so confused by the profiles in this SDN, how to use the native profile while also associated with a VLAN.  How to get DHCP properly working since the router hands out DHCP but I can find no DHCP helpers or similar functionality in the Omada config anywhere.  I went ahead and bought the TP-Link VPN Gateway/router to see if that would make this any easier.  But its frustrating that getting this basic stuff working is so difficult. 

If anyone has any tips or insight that might help me accomplish my goals, I'd greatly appreciate it.  Thank you!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Question about management networks and VLAN
2021-11-23 09:13:27

@Mr_Picard 

Hi,

If you want to set the management vlan, you may check this article: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2814/

I guess you wanna set the multinets NAT vlan, right?

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2021-11-23 09:16:30

@Mr_Picard 

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/3091/

The first two steps in this article can be used as a reference because you need to set up VLANs for all devices in your entire network topology.

Generally it is recommended that the ports between switches and between switches and routers are tagged VLAN.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2021-11-24 23:58:27

I figured it out, didn't understand the native vlan and how to also tag other networks.  Now that I've figured out how to do this in the Omada controller, I'm good to go.  Just a little confusing for a noob.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 965

Replies: 3

Related Articles