Configuring Management VLAN in Omada

2024-03-18 12:40:10
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I've set up a Management VLAN (ID 69) across my network. Devices in this VLAN have IP addresses in the 10.0.69.x range, and my Omada Controller is on 10.0.69.20 and communicates fine. However, my router remains on the default VLAN with IP 192.168.0.1 and I can't seem to move it to the Management VLAN. Does my setup sound correct?

How can I connect my router to the Management VLAN? When I attempt to update the PVID on the Router Trunk port from the default setting of 1 to the new management setting of 69, the router begins the configuration process but then disconnects.

Additionally, I am currently running the controller from my desktop PC, and I used a different computer to update the router with the new controller IP. I haven't set up my Access Point yet, as I am focusing on establishing this new Management VLAN using the ER605 Router and SG2008P switch for simplicity.

I've followed this multiple times with no success: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2814/

r/TPLink_Omada - Configuring Management VLAN in Omada

Options
8 Reply
Re:Configuring Management VLAN in Omada
2024-03-18 16:18:19

@skeller 

It's painful but doable, the key part of the process being the following:

So you create a switch port profile which is native to the new VLAN management ID (PVID) and connect the controller

You've created a fixed IP reservation in the management subnet for the controller, and verified that the controller is active on that IP

The real magic comes when you are using the TPlink ODU utility..that's what allows you to move the gateway to the new VLAN/subnet.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-03-18 16:58:43
Thanks for the response. The thing is, I did do the ODU utility tool and it said it ran successfully. Everything seemed to be working, but the IP of my gateway stayed on the default VLAN. I would have assumed that it should have also picked up the new VLAN through DCHP. Perhaps im missing something though. Thanks
Options
2024-03-18 17:54:45

@skeller 

Did you plug the controller into a switch port that was configured with the Management VLAN as the PVID (native VLAN)?

Options
2024-03-18 18:20:20

@skeller 

and did you configure the LAN (first subnet defintion under Wired Connections) with the new VLAN id?

that should get pushed as part of the new config from the controller once the router can 'see' the controller thanks to the ODU.

You may wish to try factory defaulting the router, then using the ODU, then adopting.

Options
2024-03-18 19:12:35

@d0ugmac1 

Yes I did. 

Options
2024-03-18 19:13:54
Ah, I think maybe this was the issue. Are you saying I need to update the EXISTING Vlan from 1 -> 69 (new vlan id?) I had created a second VLAN with this VLAN setting.
Options
2024-03-18 19:34:41 - last edited 2024-03-18 19:37:43

@skeller 

I think you were being too logical :). There is one LAN setting that can only be edited and never deleted, to me that is the one that becomes the management VLAN.  By default it comes up as 192.168.0.0/24 on VLAN1, but you can change that.  I think the reason is that VLAN is always the native one on an Omada gateway's ports be default.

Not 100% sure on this, the docs are a bit sketchy in this area, but it has typically worked for me.  (so think of it as Newtonian and not Einsteinian physics).

Options
2024-03-18 19:45:28
Thanks for the help. While I'm glad there is some documentation, it does seem sketchy regarding this. I will try out your suggestion when I'm home. If I don't have any luck, I might just keep the default VLAN for now. I think my wife is at her wits end with the sketchy internet this past week :p.
Options