IGMP Snooping on Archer AX3000 in AP mode?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-18 14:19:03
Model: Archer AX3000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 20200426 rel.69563(5553)

I have 2 Archer AX3000s, one as a router and the other as an access point.  I've been having issues with Apple Homekit, specifically with Homebridge.  One of the requirements for reliable function is multicast being fully allowed throughout the network.  On my router, I've been able to enable IGMP snooping and IGMP proxy in the LAN -> IPTV settings.  However, those settings aren't available in AP mode which makes no sense given it's a LAN setting.  How do I go about making sure multicast/IGMP settings are enabled in AP mode?

Options
6 Reply
Re:IGMP Snooping on Archer AX3000 in AP mode?
2021-12-18 18:17:20

@SingletrackMind 

See here the difference between the device in Router and AP mode.

Some of the features configured in Router mode are still active when the device is switched to AP mode.

Not sure about those two - IGMP snooping and IGMP proxy. This has to be checked with TP-Link support.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-12-18 18:24:09

@terziyski 

Well it turns out that IGMP snooping needs to be off I believe for Homebridge (or any Bonjour service for that matter) to work reliable based on what I'm seeing.  But IGMP Proxy still needs to be on.  Once I switched the AP back to router mode where IGMP Proxy was already enabled, everything is working now.  Just seems like they completely screwed up on the AP mode.  Any settings relating to LAN or WLAN should be available in both.  Oh well, I've run routers as APs for years knowing to turn certain things off so I guess I'll continue.

Options
2021-12-20 12:26:15

@SingletrackMind 

Hello, you can try the solution we provided in the below thread, then report back if that works, thank you:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/220212?replyId=1010732

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-12-20 12:31:46

@Kevin_Z 

You're saying to install AX50 firmware (beta) on my AX3000?  And this firmware will provide the IGMP options when configured for AP mode?  I have managed to get everything working now by configuring it back to router mode (with DHCP disabled).  I've found that IGMP Snooping must be off but IGMP proxy enabled...which seems to be the default in router mode.

Options
2021-12-20 12:45:43

@SingletrackMind 

Oh my fault, I thought you're using Archer AX50, which some customers mentioned for AX3000. If yours is Archer AX3000, the beta firmware is not good to install.

Are you saying you changed the 2nd AX3000 to be working in router mode also but with DHCP is disabled? As for the beta firmware for the AX50, there are IGMP Snooping and IGMP proxy options as confirmed by the developer.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-12-20 12:56:01

@Kevin_Z 

Yes, switched the 2nd AX3000 (which is only be used as an AP and switch) to router mode in order to expose the IGMP options.  Bonjour and the Apple Homekit features requires multicast to be allowed, ideally at all points on the network.  And apparently when in AP mode, it's not on the AX3000.  Since this is a layer 2 (LAN) feature, it should have been available to configure in AP mode but I guess the development team felt differently.  It seems pretty simple to me that all layer 2 features should be available in AP mode (even QoS) and you should only loose layer 3 (and up) services.  Not that I need QoS...just making a point.

Nonetheless, I'll just stay in router mode, in order to have ALL functionality and simply keep DHCP disabled on the 2nd one.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2485

Replies: 6

Related Articles