EAP615-Wall, the first Omada Wall Plate Wi-Fi 6 Access Point.

2021-12-28 11:36:09 - last edited 2022-06-26 04:57:15

Hi Everyone,

We’re excited to announce the official launch of EAP615-Wall here!

EAP615-Wall is the first Omada Wall Plate Wi-Fi 6 Access Point and adds new features such as Fast Roaming (aka Seamless Roaming) and WPA3 encryption. Let's read on to learn more about this new product!

1. Product Overview

• Superior Wi-Fi 6 Speeds:

Simultaneous 574 Mbps on 2.4 GHz and 1201 Mbps on 5 GHz totals 1775 Mbps Wi-Fi speeds.*

• High-Performance connection:

Guarantee higher network efficiency and lower latency (Fast Roaming).

• Four Gigabit Ethernet ports:

1 x Uplink port,  3 x Downlink ports (one downlink port supports PoE pass-through to provide power for a wired device.**)

• Centralized Management:

Integrates into Omada SDN for cloud access and remote management.

• Secure Guest Network:

Support multiple authentication options (Facebook/Voucher/SMS, etc.) and rich wireless security technology (WPA-3).

• Easy Installation and PoE Support:

Easy-to-install design, compatible with 86 mm & EU & US standard junction box, and 802.3af/at PoE support.

*The Wi-Fi speeds here are the maximum physical rates derived from IEEE Standard 802.11 specifications.

**PoE pass-through (aka PoE Out feature) requires 802.3at (PoE+) power input. Read on to get more details.

2. Highlight Features

(1) Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)

• EAP615-wall adopts the latest 802.11ax technology and supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequency bands. The wireless speed of 2.4GHz can reach up to 574Mbps, and the wireless speed of 5GHz can reach up to 1201Mbps.
  • Using 1024-QAM, each symbol transmits 10 bits of data (2^10=1024). Compared with 802.11ac 256-QAM (2^8=256), it is increased by 25% from 8 to 10, which means a single space Streaming data throughput increased by 25%.
  • The Wi-Fi 6 standard uses OFDMA to improve channel efficiency and reduce latency which can significantly increase the upload and download rate.

Learn more about Omada WiFi 6 >

(2) Fast Roaming (aka Seamless Roaming)

• EAP615-Wall adds support to 802.11k and 802.11v Fast Roaming (aka Seamless Roaming), which allows the Wi-Fi clients switch their connection from one AP to another quickly to obtain a stronger Wi-Fi signal, improving the Wi-Fi experience.
  • The Fast Roaming function requires Omada SDN Controller to keep running. Please refer to the User Guides of Omada SDN controllers for configuration method.

(3) PoE OUT (PoE pass-through)

• EAP615-wall is equipped with 3 x 10/100/1000Mbps downstream Ethernet ports, one of which supports PoE OUT feature.
  • PoE OUT means that EAP615-Wall can transmit data and supply power to the device connected to its PoE OUT port (ETH3).
  • To use the PoE OUT function, EAP615-Wall itself must be powered up by 802.3at PoE+ standard.
  • The maximum power output for POE OUT port is 13 W (EU version) or 12 W (US version), based on laboratory testing.

3. Management methods and typical application scenarios

(1) Various Management Methods

• Standalone mode allows an independent management of EAP, which is suitable for a small-scale network with only basic functions required.
  • Controller mode allows centralized management of EAP by the Omada SDN Controller, which is suitable for a medium/large-scale network with more advanced functions such as portal and fast roaming required. Compared to Standalone mode, more advanced configuration options are available in Controller mode.

(2) Typical application scenarios

• EAP615-Wall is more suitable for high-density application scenarios such as hotels, dormitories, and classrooms.
  • EAP615-Wall is suitable for the application scenarios where require both wireless and wired connection at one place concurrently.
  • EAP615-Wall is suitable for the application scenarios where require supplying power without additional cables to some powered devices such as VOIP phones, IP Cameras, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frequently Asked Questions

Q1: What should I know before using the PoE OUT function?

• To use this function, EAP615-Wall must be powered by standard 802.3at (PoE+) PSE (Power Source Equipment).
  • Only the ETH3 port supports the PoE OUT function, the other 2 Ethernet ports do not support this function.
  • The power consumption of the PD(Powered Device) connected to the PoE OUT port should be less than 13W (EU) or 12W (US).
  • The output voltage of the PoE OUT function will drop by a few volts following the input voltage, but it can power most 802.3af PD.
  • The PoE OUT function is disabled by default, we need to enable it from its management page to use this function.

Kind Note: 

(1) PoE OUT function is not a standard PoE OUT, which means that it will directly output at the maximum power without a negotiation process when powering the PD. 

(2) DO NOT enable the PoE OUT function if the output power of the PoE OUT port is larger than the required power of your PD, otherwise, it may cause damage to the PD.

Q2: What kind of wall junction box does EAP615-Wall support?

Same as the EAP235-Wall, EAP615-Wall is compatible with 86 mm & EU & US standard junction box.

Q3: What is the particularity about the installation position of the panel AP?

During the transmission of wireless signals, different degrees of loss will occur due to the presence of air, metal and other media. Through actual measurement, we have learned that the impact of common obstructions on wireless is very obvious, and it often fails to meet our expectations for wireless network speed, and may even affect normal use.

• For some movable shelters, such as cartons, lockers, coffee tables, etc., move the items to other places to reduce the shelter of the AP as much as possible. 
  • For wall-mounted TVs, wardrobes and other immovable obstructions, you can lead out and extend the AP's network cable, and fix it externally in an unobstructed place.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
10 Reply
Re:EAP615-Wall, the first Omada Wall Plate Wi-Fi 6 Access Point.
2022-03-12 19:21:27

@Fae No new firmware has been posted for this device since 5 months or so, do you know if it will be actively updated or developed like the other aps?

Options
2022-03-14 02:36:16

Dear @crrodriguez,

crrodriguez wrote

@Fae No new firmware has been posted for this device since 5 months or so, do you know if it will be actively updated or developed like the other aps?

Sorry that I haven't been informed the estimated time of firmware update for EAP615-Wall yet.

Do you have any issues with the EAP615-Wall?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-03-14 13:41:13

@Fae I bought a few and have been slowly replacing everything with them, so just ensuring this product  support will be active.. Now I have a client that has association issues with one of the AP.. but atm Im blaming the wireless card/device

Options
2022-04-04 20:31:44

@Fae 

Any news on the firmware updates? At the moment DFS channels are not supported. It would be very nice if it would be possible to use a channel higher than 48.

Options
2022-05-20 14:52:46 - last edited 2022-05-20 14:57:34

@Fae 

I included two EAP615 in my existing Omada network last week and I am very happy with their performance and in perticularly the 3 GB ports!!!

Unfortunately I can not use my EAP ACL's anymore (like with my EAP615) as clients do not get an IP addres by the EAP615 or the session is stopped by moving into the reach of the EAP615.

Is this as designed or should i rase a ticket?

I have two EAP ACL's the first permit a small segmet of a SID/network and the second a deny for the full same SID/network.

This is working perfectly for many month in my full EAP615 WIFI network until I connected the EAP615.

Clients connected to the EAP615 are still ok and ACL's are working properly, but as a client moves toward the EAP615 or try to conect to the SID there is no IP address and client endless loops.

If I disable both ACL's the connection is instantly established with the EAP615's. Also if i enable only the deny ACL connections can be made. Enabeling both ACL's and the issue is back again.

All devices (router, OC200 and all switches and AEP's) are at latest level

I really would appreciate if you or somebody can response if EAP ACL's are or are not supported with the EAP615.

Options
2022-07-04 06:28:05

@jandico 

Issue is solved. Due to a deny statement in the EAP ACL where i used both in source and destination each 2 line items. This ACL was working for the EAP610 devices (for month) but resulted in described issue for the EAP615. I was told after raising a ticket that somewhere in the documentation it is stated that only one (source or destination) could have more then one line item using ACL.

Unfortunately is not prohibited to create this unsupported configuration.

Options
2022-07-04 09:52:35

Dear @jandico,

jandico wrote

Issue is solved. Due to a deny statement in the EAP ACL where i used both in source and destination each 2 line items. This ACL was working for the EAP610 devices (for month) but resulted in described issue for the EAP615. I was told after raising a ticket that somewhere in the documentation it is stated that only one (source or destination) could have more then one line item using ACL.

Unfortunately is not prohibited to create this unsupported configuration.

Sorry that I didn't quite understand what it meant by "only one (source or destination) could have more than one line item using ACL." here. Could you please give me an example in detail? If it's confirmed to be unsupported configuration, I'd like to submit an improvement request to avoid such issue.

Options
2022-07-04 16:24:24

@Fae 

In the window 

=> settings ==> Network security

tab " EAP ACL"

you are able to select in the source and destination fields multiple items

See the attached screenshot

In my origional (resulting in the EAP615 ethernet port failure) I did had two source and three destination items selected see arrows

After removing the second source item, the red arrow (this is an example as the origional does not exist anymore) the errors in the ethernet ports of the EAP615 were solved.

The person who answered the raised ticked stated that you should in this case create two deny rules each with one source item and 3 destination items.

My remark is the configuration app should avoid to have multiple source and destination items at the same time (e.g. test after pushing the "apply" button if there is eather 1 source or one destination item selected)

Hope this make things clear

regards jandico

File:
EAP_ACL.pngDownload
Options
2022-07-05 00:58:20

Dear @jandico,

jandico wrote

@Fae 

In the window 

=> settings ==> Network security

tab " EAP ACL"

you are able to select in the source and destination fields multiple items

See the attached screenshot

In my origional (resulting in the EAP615 ethernet port failure) I did had two source and three destination items selected see arrows

After removing the second source item, the red arrow (this is an example as the origional does not exist anymore) the errors in the ethernet ports of the EAP615 were solved.

The person who answered the raised ticked stated that you should in this case create two deny rules each with one source item and 3 destination items.

My remark is the configuration app should avoid to have multiple source and destination items at the same time (e.g. test after pushing the "apply" button if there is eather 1 source or one destination item selected)

Thank you so much for your detailed information. I don't know who answered the raised ticket, but it shouldn't be that way from my experience. Do you still have the original configuration backup file to reproduce the issue? If you are willing, I'd like to escalate your case to our support engineer for further investigation.

Options
2022-07-05 07:48:51

@Fae 

Most likely I will be able to recreate the issue, even based on the current design. Unfortunately I will not be able to do the necessary changes and test before end of July (currently on vacation) as i want to be local to the network to test/proof.

Rebuilding is a lot of work as at some point in time i thought the issue was the result of using the TP-link-devices network as well for the application-servers too. I created a separate application network with changed all proxy and necessary application setting......  

Currently not necessary anymore but the impact of returning with all the necessary testing....

I think you are right as this deny rule with two source and destination items worked perfect as a single rule also in combination with the EAP415. The EAP415 issue only raised in combination with the primary permit rule. (the permit must take precedence above the deny). I am really sure as i tested many ACL configurations and network setups. 

=first ACL rule: "permit a group of ip addresses in the user-network to access the application-network and secure-subnet-network"

=second ACL rule (as detailed in the previous msg): "deny both the user-network + the guest network to access the application network, secure subnet and the basic network"

(my guest network is not marked as "guest" in TP-link configuration as our guests need to be able to e.g. print)

The group of IP adresses is created by ==> profiles ==> group and IPaddresses: 192.168.4.240/28  

(WIFI) Devices of server administrators are by MAC binding (in a non private WIFI network) connected to these IP address range.

In case you need network design/pictures i am happy to share.

I will share the results end of july

regards jandico

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3203

Replies: 10