Changing NAT rules disconnects all cleints

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-03 16:21:40
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

Changing a simple NAT rule (settings > Transmission > NAT) leads to all clients being disconnected from the internet. So all phone calls and video conferences are being interrupted. Will this be fixed soon?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Changing NAT rules disconnects all cleints
2022-01-03 18:21:51

@S-K 

This would be an expected behaviour, although not entirely desirable..   I have seen other vendors cause the same during NAT changes. 

Basically, when you are updating any NAT rules it has to recompile the sessions to ensure that the new rules apply to existing user sessions, the only way to do this is the terminate the sessions active.. which will cut the users off their connections.

NAT rules are designed to be applied out of hours or during arranged downtimes, this would be the best practice. 

Options
2022-01-03 20:52:29

@Philbert well I disagree with this. There are also solutions where changing nat rules won't reset all connections. Even Sophos UTM which is old as the hills can handle this. And even if there were technically no other possibility, there should be at least a hint before a configuration change would usher all connections into the great digital beyond.

Options
2022-01-03 20:58:11

@S-K 

Yeah agree its not the best, but sadly the way it is... 

For the record, I only ever experienced this in hardware based NAT rules, software rules (like Sophos you mentioned) don't appear to display this issue.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 640

Replies: 3

Related Articles