Omada controller keeps showing "Adopting" after I've already adopted it

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-13 20:10:39 - last edited 2022-01-14 03:58:07
Model: AC500  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.3 Build 20210708 Rel. 35014

I just bought the EAP245 access point (sorry had to choose Model AC500 for this thread since this model wasn't listed in the dropdown).

Last night I got the AP adopted for the very first time. The Omada controller software v5.0.29 showed connected and everything was fine. Today, I connected to work via my windows 11 vpn adapter on my laptop, and I also disabled my ethernet adapter for testing as I sometimes do, but now the Omada controller just shows Adopting so I can no longer manage it. The Omada controller is installed on the same laptop. If I try to access the AP directly from the browser it says wrong username/password when I know it's correct. I'm guessing it's because the controller is managing it and won't let me manage it directly. Still, it should tell me this instead of wrong credentials which is not true. I've had this happen twice now within 24hrs.

The log just shows:

[Failed]Failed to readopt EAP245 automatically.

Jan 13, 2022 01:02:03  pm

[Failed]Master Administrator admin failed to adopt MY-MA-C7-B9-8D-19-90.

I figured if I'd disconnect from vpn and enable my ethernet adapter, restart the controller software that it would readopt itself but it doesn't..and it doesn't fail, just stuck at Adopting. Seems like I will have to do a factory reset, again, go through the painful adopting process again (painful because it always has a problem adopting, even when setting it up for the first time) just to get control back.

If I just reboot the AP by disconnecting POE cable and reconnecting then Adopting finally changes to Failed and still won't readopt. If I restart the Omada controller software again then it goes back to Adopting and stays that way. There's no way I'm going to be resetting it to factory every day since I'm connecting to the vpn all the time as well as disabling/enabling network adapters for other reasons.

I need to get this resolved or this thing is going back. Wasted too much time on this already as I have more important things to do.

Is there something I can do to prevent this or is there a workaround for it?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Omada controller keeps showing "Adopting" after I've already adopted it-Solution
2022-01-14 03:24:27 - last edited 2022-01-14 03:58:07

@Fae 

Thanks for the response. Just the one EAP device. And it wasn't an Adopting -> Provisioning loop. It was simply stuck at Adopting. The status would never change to anything else.

However I figured out the problem with why I was having trouble adopting devices - McAfee was silently blocking the connection even though I have it set to prompt me first before blocking. Had to add some rules in McAfee to stop blocking it.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Omada controller keeps showing "Adopting" after I've already adopted it
2022-01-14 03:18:46

Dear @yorkman,

yorkman wrote

Last night I got the AP adopted for the very first time. The Omada controller software v5.0.29 showed connected and everything was fine. Today, I connected to work via my windows 11 vpn adapter on my laptop, and I also disabled my ethernet adapter for testing as I sometimes do, but now the Omada controller just shows Adopting so I can no longer manage it. The Omada controller is installed on the same laptop. If I try to access the AP directly from the browser it says wrong username/password when I know it's correct. I'm guessing it's because the controller is managing it and won't let me manage it directly. Still, it should tell me this instead of wrong credentials which is not true. I've had this happen twice now within 24hrs. 

How many Omada EAP devices are deployed in your network?

If your EAP245 is in Adopting - Provisioning loop, please disable the AI Roaming feature and see if it helps.

AI Roaming may lead EAP into Adopting - Provisioning loop with Controller v5.0.29

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:Omada controller keeps showing "Adopting" after I've already adopted it-Solution
2022-01-14 03:24:27 - last edited 2022-01-14 03:58:07

@Fae 

Thanks for the response. Just the one EAP device. And it wasn't an Adopting -> Provisioning loop. It was simply stuck at Adopting. The status would never change to anything else.

However I figured out the problem with why I was having trouble adopting devices - McAfee was silently blocking the connection even though I have it set to prompt me first before blocking. Had to add some rules in McAfee to stop blocking it.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Omada controller keeps showing "Adopting" after I've already adopted it
2022-01-14 03:55:59

Dear @yorkman,

yorkman wrote

Thank you for your valued reply and feedback! 

That makes sense, I think the issue has been resolved.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options