Omada controller software - Mail Server feature not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Omada controller software - Mail Server feature not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
21 Reply
Re:Omada controller software - Mail Server feature not working
2022-01-18 15:06:51

@Hank21 As mentioned I'm using Exchange 2016 with ip 192.168.2.254 and the Omada controller is on 192.168.2.227. I'm not using gmail or external email. I also have an APC network UPS which sends out email notifications and no special configuration was done to make that work since Exch2016 by default allows the local subnet to receive/send mail. It is not using a self signed certificate. I'm not doing or using anything out of the ordinary in this setup.

In Omada I have:

SMTP: 192.168.2.254

Port: 25

SSL:unchecked

Authentication:unchecked

Sender Address:sender@mydomain.local

Test SMTP Server: recipient@mydomain.local

I tried enabling SSL and specifying credentials but it made no difference.

Options
2022-01-18 20:01:29

@yorkman 

I have the same config on v5.0.29 and it actualy work , I have this config on ubuntu and windows controller. so this was strange.

i use my e-mail adress as sender adress and whent test.

I also have Exchange server as mail server with same setting that you have.

Options
2022-01-19 23:38:22

@shberge I suppose it depends on the configuration. No matter what I try it won't work for me. And there's no log entry to give you any kind of indication of why it failed. Frustrating. And I've even tried turning off the windows firewall just in case but it makes no difference. Always the same immediate error.

I've nothing else left to go on.

Options
2022-01-20 00:07:29

@E-T It seems like TLS is disabled in Omada. I created a new receive connector especially for Omada and it only started working after disabling TLS. I suppose this workaround will have to do.

Options
Re:Omada controller software - Mail Server feature not working-Solution
2022-01-20 07:38:35 - last edited 2022-01-20 21:39:38

@yorkman 

Omada SDN Controller supports STARTTLS starting with version 5.0, see this support article https://www.tp-link.com/de/support/faq/3260/

This means, you can use TLS over unencrypted port 25 if supported by the SMTP Server, the Submission port 587 works as well, don't check the SSL Option.

When you check the SSL Option, this means only the legacy port 465

When your SMTP Server supports STARTTLS ( which is enabled by default on Exchange 2016 ) see this article

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d6b3cd70-bb2a-49d0-bfd3-f39318a0968d/enable-starttls-on-exchange-2016

your SMTP Server creates a self signed certificate in order to use STARTTLS on your private network.

Omada SDN Controller try to use the secure connections over port 25, but it fails, because the presented certificate by your SMTP Server can not be verified.

On your SMTP Server, you can disable the TLS/SSL Support completely or not advertise STARTTLS to the Omada SDN Controller.

Test on Submission port 587 with certificate issued from a official authority works fine.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-01-20 08:26:02

@yorkman I also tested mail configuration. For me it work with STARTTLS on port 587. I don't use self signed certificates. Now here are several ideas mentioned.

1. try to create a new receive connector with tls disabled for testing.

2. check, whether you use self signed certificates. i read somewhere before, self signed certs won't work. if so, could you try to use free LE certs?

Options
2022-01-20 15:14:11

@S-K As mentioned I don't use self signed certificates either. I'm using an LE cert. Yes that is what I did, I created a new receive connector on a non-standard port with tls disabled so as not to change anything with the default port 25 connector. With TLS enabled, even though I'm using an LE cert, it just won't work.

Options
2022-01-20 15:18:42

@E-T Yes, and that is what I did to get it to work. Not sure why Exchange wouldn't use the LE cert on port 25 but it's all good now.

Options
2022-01-20 21:03:36

@E-T 

E-T wrote

@yorkman 

Omada SDN Controller supports STARTTLS starting with version 5.0, see this support article https://www.tp-link.com/de/support/faq/3260/

This means, you can use TLS over unencrypted port 25 if supported by the SMTP Server, the Submission port 587 works as well, don't check the SSL Option.

When you check the SSL Option, this means only the legacy port 465

When your SMTP Server supports STARTTLS ( which is enabled by default on Exchange 2016 ) see this article

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d6b3cd70-bb2a-49d0-bfd3-f39318a0968d/enable-starttls-on-exchange-2016

your SMTP Server creates a self signed certificate in order to use STARTTLS on your private network.

Omada SDN Controller try to use the secure connections over port 25, but it fails, because the presented certificate by your SMTP Server can not be verified.

On your SMTP Server, you can disable the TLS/SSL Support completely or not advertise STARTTLS to the Omada SDN Controller.

Test on Submission port 587 with certificate issued from a official authority works fine.

@yorkman You should mark this as the solution. I think this is super helpful to others. enlightened

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2022-01-20 21:40:25

@Tedd404 Agreed. I've marked it as the solution. Thank you E-T.

Options
Related Articles