Use new Router with existing Internet Connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-22 14:33:02
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

Hey everyone,

I'm getting a new internet connection soon and I'm already using EAP Accesspoints so I thought it makes sense to switch to a TP-Link router as well. I'm not switching my ISP for a few months but I wanted to get familiar with the router etc. first so I got it and wanted to switch out my current router, problem is I can't seem to get it working. I'm using my ISPs router in bridge mode (since I have cable internet) so shouldn't it be enough to set my WAN Port to dynamic IP and that's it or am I missing something? At least thats how I use my current router. I get an IP from the DHCP so the router itself seems to work fine, but I can't get an internet connection going. In the Omada controller it says: "[Failed]Router failed to obtain the IP address for WAN because no response from the server." I hope someone has an answer to this and that I'm just missing something completely obvious. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Use new Router with existing Internet Connection
2022-01-24 10:09:01

Dear @N1Marc,

N1Marc wrote

I'm using my ISPs router in bridge mode (since I have cable internet) so shouldn't it be enough to set my WAN Port to dynamic IP and that's it or am I missing something? At least thats how I use my current router. I get an IP from the DHCP so the router itself seems to work fine, but I can't get an internet connection going. In the Omada controller it says: "[Failed]Router failed to obtain the IP address for WAN because no response from the server." 

Some ISPs' router may only be able to cache one MAC address, once it caches the MAC address of a router and provides an IP address for the current router to access the Internet, it may fail to recognize another MAC address from a new router.

Try unplugging the power from your ISP router completely (take out the battery if any) to remove its memory for MAC address, wait for couple minutes and then plug the power back and hook up with ISP router with the new Router for Internet connection.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-01-24 10:11:15

@Fae 

But plugging it into the WAN port and setting it to dynamic IP should work? Do i still need to give access to the internet to the lan port or is that a default setting?

Options
2022-01-25 01:53:21

Dear @N1Marc,

N1Marc wrote

But plugging it into the WAN port and setting it to dynamic IP should work? Do i still need to give access to the internet to the lan port or is that a default setting?

If your current existing router is configured with Dynamic IP for Internet access, then it should be the same for the ER605.

Topology: ISP Router (Bridge mode) -----(WAN) ER605 (LAN) ----- PC

With the connection above, ER605 will use Dynamic IP to connect by default.

If you cannot get Internet access on your PC, try the earlier suggestion for checking.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options