New Arrival ER605 v2, the first SMB router that supports 4G/3G USB Modem function.
We’re excited to announce the official launch of ER605 v2 here!
ER605 v2 is the first SMB router that supports 4G/3G USB Modem function, and adds the new features such as IPTV, DHCP Option 67 and DHCP Relay. With optimized chip scheme and improved processing performance, the ER605 v2 supports more concurrent session and higher IPsec VPN throughput compared to v1. Let's read on to learn more about this new product!
The overall appearance and size of ER605 v2 are almost the same as ER605 v1, the main difference is that ER605 v2 adds a USB 2.0 interface and a USB LED indicator.
2. Hardware features
- Five Gigabit RJ45 Ports: 1 Fixed WAN port, 2 Changeable WAN/LAN ports and 2 Fixed LAN ports.
- Up to 3 WAN Ports: support load balance feature, which raises the utilization rate of multi-line broadband.
- One USB WAN Port for Mobile Broadband: Mobile broadband via 4G/3G modem is supported for WAN backup.*
- Durable metal casing and desktop/wall mounting design, suited for different environments.
Note: The actual rate of the USB WAN port is affected by the rate allocated by the Internet Service Provider and the performance of the 4G/3G USB Modem.
3. New features
Compared to the first hardware version of ER605, ER605 v2 has added the new features below.
(1) USB Modem
ER605 v2 adds a new USB2.0 interface, supports connection with 4G/3G USB Modem*, and performs WAN port link backup, which improves the stability of the router in certain scenarios. This is also the most important feature update of the v2 version.
*Check for 4G/3G USB Modem Compatibility List for ER605 V2, https://www.tp-link.com/en/er605/compatibility/
ER605 v2 supports to configure OpenVPN Server or OpenVPN Client in Standalone mode. ER605 v1 will add this function in the next firmware update.
ER605 v2 adds IPTV function back to enrich the use scene of the router, which can provide users with high-quality digital media information service. ER605 v1 will add this function in the next firmware update.
(4) DHCP Features
ER605 V2 adds the two DHCP features below:
- Added DHCP Option 67. This field is used to inform the client of the configuration file’s name. It is one of the options used by the DHCP Auto install function.
- Support DHCP Relay, which can be used as DHCP Server to assign IP addresses to clients on different network segments.
(5) Encryption algorithm of IPsec VPN
ER605 v2 adds SHA2 encryption to the IPsec VPN function and supports IKEv2, making VPN communication more secure. ER605 v1 will add this function in the next firmware update.
4. Comparison to ER605 V1
Due to the use of a new chip solution, ER605 v2 has significantly improved the maximum number of concurrent connections and IPsec VPN throughput compared to v1. Make v2 support more clients and a more powerful VPN forwarding function. The following is a detailed parameter comparison.
5. Application Scenarios
- Used in conjunction with LTE 3G/4G USB Modem, it can support WAN backup. It is suitable for scenarios where WAN port link backup is required but there is only one wired link, which can improve the stability of the network.
- Ensure the security of data transmission between multiple sites. One-click auto IPSec VPN greatly simplifies VPN configuration and facilitates network management and deployment. It also secures and encrypts private site-to-site data communications traveling over the internet.
- Suitable for home users with computers and TVs, able to use the computer to surf the Internet while watching TV. The increase of IPTV functions can provide users with high-quality digital media information services.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: Can I use OpenVPN proxy to access the Internet?
No, currently OpenVPN does not support all data traffic to pass through the VPN tunnel, and you still need to go to the default gateway to access the Internet.
Q2: Has the number of clients supported by ER605 v2 increased?
YES, the Maximum number of concurrent connections of ER605 v2 has been increased from 25,000 to 150,000, so the recommended number of clients is about 100.
Q3: When the USB WAN port is enabled, can all functions related to the WAN port in the router be used?
In addition to being unable to serve as a VPN Server, other functions such as Access Control, Load Balancing, Bandwidth Control, NAT and other functions can all be normally selected for the USB WAN port.
Q4: In the IPTV function, what is the difference between Bridge Mode and Custom Mode?
In Bridge Mode, ISP doesn’t provide any info and doesn’t support IGMP protocol;
In Custom Mode, ISP provides all the configuration info like VLAN and priority.