ER605 - two dhcp ranges, one subnet (bear with me here!)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-06 00:14:05
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I have a MOFI router with dnsmasq - which I can use to do exactly what I'm describing - but I'd like to move to a R605 for the load balancing. I have other 605s running, but I'm not brave enough to try this scenario...

Teensy background - my connections are all cellular - not incoming connections, no ability to do port mapping, etc. Because of this, I maintain a Tomato router on the network that runs as a VPN gateway for the devices on the network that I want to have direct internet access. The main gateway is 192.168.3.1. If I want to send something over the VPN, I set the gateway to 192.168.3.2 - the tomato router. 

On the Mofi (openwrt), I do this easily by setting the dhcp server to serve addresses from 100-254 with the MOFI as the gateway. For everything in the range of 3-99, I tell dnsmasq to set the gateway to the vpn server.  Since the 3-99 addresses are only entered as static mappings, this all works out perfectlyyyyyy......

But... everything else on this network is Omada controlled, and I'd like to switch to an R605 and JUST use the Mofi as a modem. 

FINALLY - a question!!

Is this possible with an Omada router?  I *think* I could do it by creating two LANs with the same subnet (not even sure it would let me do this). One lan would have one range 3-99, one lan would have the other 100-254 - along with the corresponding gateways. Since I have static mappings for everything, it wouldn't matter that there are two dhcp servers on the same subnet... nor would it really matter if an occasional client bounced around between then. 

No, no VLANs, no separate subnets, etc..  this is a single network, I need all the clients in the same broadcast domain, but I need some clients router over my vpn gateway and others to use the 605 itself.  Easy peasy with dnsmasq... :(

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

Options
7 Reply
Re:ER605 - two dhcp ranges, one subnet (bear with me here!)
2022-03-07 13:14:11

@BLite 

To pinpoint the problem more precisely, are you using ER605 in standalone or controller mode?
If you upgrade the ER605 firmware to the latest 1.2.0, it shows support for setting the VPN IP Pool to the same network segment as the LAN.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-03-07 16:21:55

@Virgo 

I'm using the ER605 with Omada, so not standalone - but -

I don't think you're interpretting the question properly.  I don't care about Omada's VPN implementation - it sucks.  I have my own VPN gateway that operates independently.  I just want to make one range of DHCP addresses on my subnet use one gateway, and the other range use another gateway.

With dnsmasq, this is trivial.  Has nothing to do with VPNs.

Options
2022-03-09 06:39:13

@BLite 

It seems to me that the IPs of the devices connected through the VPN are assigned by the VPN gateway and the R605 can only change the DHCP range, but there is no way to create two IP ranges in the same network segment, e.g. 192.168.0. 3-99  and 192.168.0.100-254.

Do you know of another brand of router that can perform similar functions and can you recommend me?

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-03-09 12:12:15

@Virgo 

I don't understand why you've hijacked this thread. 

I have one device running dnsmasq (OpenWRT) that assigns 2-99 on my subnet to a group of devices with static leases.  It also assigns these a gateway of 192.168,3.2. The range of 100-254 are assigned to anything else connecting to the network 192.168.3.100-254. 

The VPN HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS.  The VPN is incidental. 

The only reason I want to move to the ER605 is because of the easy multiwan setup - which I can't accommodate with the OpenWRT router (LAN ports internally bridged and I'm out of WAN ports.) 

Again, this has nothing to do with a VPN.  It is just a matter of configuring a DHCP server to provide different gateways to two different ranges within a subnet, which is exactly what ANY router running DNSmasq CAN DO?

please stop responding to a thread you clearly don't understand. 

Options
2022-03-09 12:49:38 - last edited 2022-03-09 12:51:46

This, incidentally, is the dnsmasq conf that accomplishes exactly what I want, in case someone thinks this is voodoo.  It is simple. You can do wonderful things with the right tools.

# Wakeman network, set different gateway for 100-254 range

dhcp-range=set:red,192.168.3.0,static,255.255.255.0,1h

dhcp-range=set:green,192.168.3.100,192.168.3.254

dhcp-option=tag:red,3,192.168.3.2

dhcp-option=tag:green,3,192.168.3.1

Once again I am lead to the conclusion that the Omada gateway just isn't that capable.  You can do this with OpenWRT, Ubiquiti's edgerouters, DD-WRT, Tomato... anything running dnsmasq, which MANY modern routers do.

Options
2022-04-24 00:28:10

@BLite 

And Synology NAS's like the DS720+.

See: Rob Ferguson's Blog How To: PXE Boot your RPi

dnsmasq

See: Rob Ferguson's Blog How To: Use your RPi as a router

Options
2022-04-24 02:08:26

@Robinyo 

I decided to just bite the bullet and use separate devices -

Just using the ER605 for load balancing - and running Pi-Hole on an RPi, which gets me dnsmasq with a decent UI for some of the features.  The TP-Link router is doing a better job than I could convince OpenWRT on a MOFI5500 to do with with multiwan.  $60 ER605 vs. a $600 MOFI, so I guess I'm happy with the little bugger overall, but still wish it had a bit more baked in functionality.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1488

Replies: 7