Omada Software Controller vs Hardware Controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-05 13:54:46 - last edited 2022-08-17 13:07:03
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Is there a difference between the Software Controller and the Hardware Controller (OC200/OC300).

Also with the Software Controller can we manage the APs on a different subnet, or does the Software Controller need to be in the same Subnet as well?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Omada Software Controller vs Hardware Controller-Solution
2022-04-05 18:52:09 - last edited 2022-08-17 13:07:03

@grimsby99 

Hey

In truth the Hardware and Software controllers are identical... its just where the controller is physically running.    Do you want to buy a server for this?  Hardware controller..   if you have a server already, then go Software controller.

If you have a windows / Linux server that can host the Software controller then great, if not get a hardware controller as its a physical device (mini server in essence).

The OC200 is the common go to device, its really cheap to purchase and perfect for home / small business use

The big difference is the capability

OC200 Hardware Controller  -   Physical device that can handle most networks up to 100 APs, 20 Switches and 10 routers..

OC300 Hardware Controller - Physical device that can handle hundreds of APs, Switches and Router (really big networks)

Software Controller -  Installed on your own hardware (Raspi Pi, Windows, Linux etc) and can handle hundreds of devices, provided your server is capable of it!

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Omada Software Controller vs Hardware Controller-Solution
2022-04-05 18:52:09 - last edited 2022-08-17 13:07:03

@grimsby99 

Hey

In truth the Hardware and Software controllers are identical... its just where the controller is physically running.    Do you want to buy a server for this?  Hardware controller..   if you have a server already, then go Software controller.

If you have a windows / Linux server that can host the Software controller then great, if not get a hardware controller as its a physical device (mini server in essence).

The OC200 is the common go to device, its really cheap to purchase and perfect for home / small business use

The big difference is the capability

OC200 Hardware Controller  -   Physical device that can handle most networks up to 100 APs, 20 Switches and 10 routers..

OC300 Hardware Controller - Physical device that can handle hundreds of APs, Switches and Router (really big networks)

Software Controller -  Installed on your own hardware (Raspi Pi, Windows, Linux etc) and can handle hundreds of devices, provided your server is capable of it!

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Omada Software Controller vs Hardware Controller
2022-04-05 21:47:12

@grimsby99 I would agree in most with previous reply, the biggest difference are the costs. If you already have some server or SoC board compatible with OS where omada runs, then you can save money and do not need to buy controller. If you do not have any device and you do want quickly setup, then omada controller is quite cheap and has industrial case. Since global changes on markets and chip shortages SoC boards like raspberry pi and similar got a lot more expensive, the cheapest board with 2G ram would cost you around the same price as controller, but you will have to get a case, to build it together, install and maintenance soft and so on... . Therefore, I guess if you do not have any SoC board around, it is better choice to buy controller than to use old pc or notebook, as those require much more power and power prices go sky high too and become more important.

Major point is that you always can try omada even on your pc to see if you do need it at all and if you need one, then order a controller.

SoC boards are great if you do require something which omada does not offer, like wireguard server or dynamic dns, samba, ... . Controller is restricted by the sofware preinstalled, that would be major con if comparing oc controller with lets say raspberry pi4. Beside that, ddr4, much faster cpu, more interfaces let's you use it more smoothly, there is also enough storage for backups and sync/backup and much more can be done independently from given or not given features of omada.

Options
2022-04-07 08:32:52

Hi  @btx & @Philbert, thank you for confirming the difference of the two.

I already have some sites with the OC200 installed.

Just got one other question, if I install the Software controller, would I be able to connect the AP's from different sites on to the Software controller? My though was to install this in one of our Azure servers and then have all the AP's connected to this server. Or I would still need to have a server on each site?

As all sites would have different IP subnets/prefixes.

Hope this makes sense, and hope some one could clarify this for me.

Options
2022-04-08 08:16:44

@grimsby99 yes, this should work and you can manage multiple sites.

Options
2022-04-08 09:51:03

Thanks  @btx, I guess the only way I can confirm is test it. Will keep you posted.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8200

Replies: 5

Related Articles