Router IP redirects to tplinkwifi.net, instead of allowing direct access

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-17 00:05:04 - last edited 2022-04-17 18:01:35
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1

I've been having an issue with my router where any time I go onto the router's admin page using the router's IP address, it gets redirected to tplinkwifi.net after a second or so. It then shows a page saying "Trying to configure the Router?" where I'm not able to log in.

While on the tplinkwifi.net page, typing in the router's IP for a second time will then take me to the router's admin page like it's supposed to originally. I've tried clearing the browser cache but that's not helped. I've also not connected the router to my TP-Link ID either, so it's not that it's wanting me to sign in with that ID.

I've saw a few other posts about this issue on other routers from a while back, just wondering if anybody ever found a recent workaround for this issue? Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Router IP redirects to tplinkwifi.net, instead of allowing direct access-Solution
2022-04-17 15:36:00 - last edited 2022-04-17 18:01:35

@BallistiX09

Hi!

Don't worry; that's normal, kind of. I get exact the same behavior when I visit the IP address directly. I was already contacted by the TP-Link support staff via e-mail and we concluded that currently there isn't any long term solution to this problem. They escalated the issue to their engineers so they can fix it in future firmware versions.

However, there are some workarounds I use to stop annoying redirection:

1. Access router's admin page through incognito tab, in the web browser. For some reason, this works perfectly and you won't be redirected.

2. On PCs, edit hosts file and point the domain tplinkwifi.net to the IP address of the router. (Note: you might still be redirected sometimes, but since domain points to the IP address of the router, website will just refresh and that's all).

First workaround works on any device connected to the network. Second works only on PCs with edited hosts file, so you'll have to edit it on all PCs connected to network.

Hope this helps.

Have a nice day!

Recommended Solution
Options
17 Reply
Re:Router IP redirects to tplinkwifi.net, instead of allowing direct access-Solution
2022-04-17 15:36:00 - last edited 2022-04-17 18:01:35

@BallistiX09

Hi!

Don't worry; that's normal, kind of. I get exact the same behavior when I visit the IP address directly. I was already contacted by the TP-Link support staff via e-mail and we concluded that currently there isn't any long term solution to this problem. They escalated the issue to their engineers so they can fix it in future firmware versions.

However, there are some workarounds I use to stop annoying redirection:

1. Access router's admin page through incognito tab, in the web browser. For some reason, this works perfectly and you won't be redirected.

2. On PCs, edit hosts file and point the domain tplinkwifi.net to the IP address of the router. (Note: you might still be redirected sometimes, but since domain points to the IP address of the router, website will just refresh and that's all).

First workaround works on any device connected to the network. Second works only on PCs with edited hosts file, so you'll have to edit it on all PCs connected to network.

Hope this helps.

Have a nice day!

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Router IP redirects to tplinkwifi.net, instead of allowing direct access
2022-04-17 18:01:15

@user30 Ahhh right, as annoying as it is that there's no real fix yet, I'm glad somebody got an actual answer from support about it so I know it's not a browser issue at least.

Just tried the second workaround, that's a genius idea, that seems to be working perfectly for me! Really appreciate the help!

Thanks, you too!

Options
2022-10-10 19:34:06

@BallistiX09 

If you control your own DNS server on your network, you could simply add an A record for tplinkwifi.net to point to your router's IP address. Most internal devices will parse internal DNS before going out to the interwebs for DNS resolution. This way, any connected device will be routed to the appropriate webpage of your router and you don't have to mess with host files on devices.

I actually use DNS in conjunction with NGINX to route to a number of web servers, including my router's web page. DNS points to an NGINX server and NGINX server reverse-proxies to either an IP address or another hostname/FQDN.

I actually hate the fact that I can't disable TPLink's stupid redirect to tplinkwifi.net. I can only assume the AX20 has some sort of NGINX built in that does pretty much the same thing I described above, but I can't disable it. So little control over my own purchased hardware. Terrible.

Options
2022-10-11 22:57:58

@Hillefied Yeah that's exactly what I ended up doing. I've got AdGuard Home (a bit like Pi-hole) set up on a Rasperry Pi which I'm using as a DNS server, and that's set up to rewrite tplinkwifi.net to the router's internal IP.

Totally agree on the control issue, I bought this router to move away from the lack of control over my ISP's router, just to find there's still daft things like this which you're stuck dealing with. There's probably custom firmware which could be installed, but that's getting into more hassle than it's worth I imagine.

Options
2022-11-22 06:56:15 - last edited 2022-11-22 06:58:07

Here's a userscript that can fix this. All it does is navigate back.

// ==UserScript==
// @name        Go back from tplinkwifi.net
// @namespace   /
// @match       http://tplinkwifi.net/
// @version     1.0
// @author      -
// @description Go back from tplinkwifi.net
// ==/UserScript==

window.history.go(-1);

I was having the same problem with the AX53's, except I have three of them running as APs, and changing DNS would only work with one of them.

Options
2022-11-22 20:14:37

@FarCanal 

That doesn't go back to the IP you originally put in. In my case, it takes me back to my browser's home page. 

Options
2023-02-14 07:24:50 - last edited 2023-02-14 16:33:45

That's a FW glitch, which hasn't been addressed so far for many router models.

The workarounds described here, may work in some cases and for some router models, but this needs to be addressed in general.

Similar behavior has been observed for a long time:

Here's a story related to that matter, which in Archer C64 has been resolved by implementing a "HTTP Referer Head Check" option.

For example this hasn't been implemented in Archer C54 model.

I've filed a feature request a year ago related to the same issue for Archer AX20, which has gone unattended.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-02-14 14:11:20

terziyski wrote

That's a FW glitch, which hasn't been addressed so far for many router models.

The workarounds described here, may work in some cases and for some router models, but this needs to be addressed in general.

Similar behavior has been observed for a long time:

Here's a story related to that matter, which in Archer C64 has been resolved by implementing a "HTTP Referer Head Check" option.

For example this hasn't been implemented in Archer C54 model.

I've filed a feature request a year ago related to the same issue for Archer AX20 that goes unattended.

I, too, filed a feature request for the AX21. It is beyond ridiculous that this hasn't been addressed. It's so common, that I assumed it was by design. Seems like it's just TP-Link not really caring about it enough to fix it. I've had 3 firmware updates since my last post and none of have fixed the issue.

I also discovered this same issue on a TP-Link Wi-Fi extender that a friend asked me to setup for them.

Options
2023-02-14 16:26:14 - last edited 2023-02-14 16:26:33

So I wait for this option: "HTTP Referer Head Check" in my AX55 PRo - but the best will be switch off this redirect from IP / my-local-domain to unusable tplinkwifi.net.

Options
2023-03-12 13:51:50

@terziyski, you seem to be assuming that TP-Link actually wants to fix this.

That seems  doubtful, to me, since it would be an easy fix, easily added to every firmware

update. My guess is, that TP-Link China has nixed any 'corrections' of this 'problem'.

TPLinkwifi.net is a CN registered domain, that  currently points to an Amazon AWS ip, 3.224.42.34.

This means that TP-Link China has full access to logs showing EVERY time you log into your router,

and WHAT your external IP is each time. And I know, from my own work in years past in network

security, just how much information can be often be accessed with nothing more than a

time-stamped IP address.

TP-Link routers may not be configured to have a secret 'backdoor' periodically

'phoning home', but the 192.168.x.x => tplinkwifi.net redirect -- happening in the open --

is the next best thing.

GIven the Chinese government's current policy that "All your data are  belong  to us" I think there is

zero chance that this data is not part of the "Big Data" set China keeps  on US citizens.

Options

Information

Helpful: 5

Views: 5133

Replies: 17