Mesh clarification

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Mesh clarification

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Mesh clarification
Mesh clarification
2022-05-09 17:46:50 - last edited 2022-08-17 13:06:15
Tags: #Mesh
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version:

I curruntly have a EAP225 outdoor configured as a standalone AP (no controller).  I need to increase it's range so I am planning on purchasing another eap225 outdoor to mesh them.  I will also add a controller as I understand it is recommended or required to mesh them.  My questions:

1. Do I need an Omada router or switch as well?  

2. If I use an network cable to adopt and configure the second AP, can I then remove the LAN cable and just use the PoE side to power the unit?  In other words, once configured, is a LAN cable still required?

Thanks in advance

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Mesh clarification-Solution
2022-05-09 22:49:48 - last edited 2022-05-10 05:21:12

@scomp 

Hey and welcome!

No you do not, the mesh only requires  APs and a controller...

2. If I use an network cable to adopt and configure the second AP, can I then remove the LAN cable and just use the PoE side to power the unit?  In other words, once configured, is a LAN cable still required?

You dont even need to have a LAN cable to adopt / setup the AP.  If you enable MESH on the controller then just power up the second AP it will be detected by the router within a few minuites and you can then adopt it via the MESH (wireless)

Hope that helps!! :)

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Mesh clarification-Solution
2022-05-09 22:49:48 - last edited 2022-05-10 05:21:12

@scomp 

Hey and welcome!

No you do not, the mesh only requires  APs and a controller...

You dont even need to have a LAN cable to adopt / setup the AP.  If you enable MESH on the controller then just power up the second AP it will be detected by the router within a few minuites and you can then adopt it via the MESH (wireless)

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Mesh clarification
2022-05-10 05:28:23
Thank you so much. Would you recommend resetting the existing standalone AP first? I'd rather not if it's not necessary.
Options
2022-05-10 13:22:04 - last edited 2022-10-13 11:34:00

EDIT

Options
2022-05-10 21:17:45

@scomp 

You dont need to reset it as it will be "reset" when the AP is adopted by the controller

As long as you have the controller setup for WiFi / Password / Security etc then when the AP is adopted all should be good. 

Options
2022-05-11 01:31:22

btx wrote

@scomp you can backup your current standalone settings, but you will have to project your current settings and reconfigure them in omada, there is no way to import them.

But before you extend your network with further eap225-outdoors, make sure that there is no radar detection on your location, otherwise those outdoor devices might be useless if you connect them in mesh. If you have issues with radar detection, better buy other hardware as nobody knows when and if tp-link will fix those issue.

EDIT: If you live in a country with restrictions for DFS channels, you can resolve your issues by not abiding to local laws and to use inappropriately your hardware by choosing another country, guess that is the only workaround which tp-link currently offers to their customers but warns them in their manuals that country has to be set properly as first. 

@btx 

Interesting.  Can you give me a few examples of why there might be radar detection on the property?  I can't image a scenario requiring that.  Thanks

Options
2022-05-11 01:31:48 - last edited 2022-05-11 01:32:47

@Philbert

Thank you

Options
2022-05-11 01:35:18

Philbert wrote

@scomp 

@Philbert 

So I can use only the PoE side to power the unit and leave the LAN side unplugged?

Options
2022-05-11 14:44:38 - last edited 2022-10-13 11:33:49

EDIT

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 527

Replies: 8

Tags