What ip should I use?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

What ip should I use?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
42 Reply
Re:What ip should I use?
2022-05-20 15:45:00

@ingeborgdot 

All of this is personal preference, however, some things are just easier.  For instance, how much fun is it going to be to access each camera's UI, change the IP and lose connectivity until you plug it into router/subnet which matches the IP.  If the camera was always DHCP, you'd just unplug it from the old network and plug it into the new network and boom, done, it gets an IP.  I'd rather change (well assign fixed IP reservations to) 20 camera IP's using the same web interface at the same time, than logging into 20 cameras.

Imagine in the future you want to isolate your cameras into their own subnet/SSID/wifi channel from other traffic in your home...

Either way is works (dynamic via DHCP or static), but the only device that needs a fixed IP is the router with the DHCP function.  Everything else in my network is DHCP, including my switches (but with IP reservations so I can find them easily without having to look them up).

You can put everything in the same subnet...but there is considerable value in having your home automation isolated from your computers and all of those isolated from your networking devices.  I have a hidden ADMIN SSID that I can log into that gives me access to all subnets, otherwise I use a HOME SSID which only gives me single subnet access.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2022-05-20 15:53:44

@Fleegle61 in the video from the link you sent, the guy changes his ip address to 192.168.42.x ,  and not the 0.x like is default, and when he gets to the wired networks part / lan it shows the 192.168.42.1 in the gateway/subnet. Then he goes down to the DHCP range and says he should change the range that it says (1-254) to 2-254.  What is his reason for saying that? He then goes on to change it to 10-254 so he can add static address which I understand.

Can I not just leave it at 1-254 and then go in and change the address I want static to static addresses? That is a little confusing to me is all

Thanks.

Options
2022-05-20 16:02:23 - last edited 2022-05-20 16:02:54

@ingeborgdot 

You don't want to statically assign IPs to devices that your router thinks it can hand out to other dynamic IP clients.  I typically use .1 for the router, assign any required statics .2 through .10 and start my DHCP range at .50 or .100.

If you want to use DHCP but fix IP's then the IP's you want to use MUST be in the DHCP server range.  For instance if you want to assign .10 to a camera, then you must include .10 in the range, could be .2 to .200 or .10 to .250 or whatever.  If you want to manually assign static IPs you must EXCLUDE those IPs from the range assigned to the server.

Options
2022-05-20 16:26:11

@ingeborgdot yes.  The physical characteristics dont change, so data is still data no matter how it gets there.  But you are right, no POE on a SFP port.  

Options
2022-05-20 16:28:15

@d0ugmac1 I have almost 20 things that I need to know what their ip address are at all times.  I don't know if static is important or not, but I need to know their addresses easily and at all times.

I have an isy994i that runs all my lights and automation, and that I always need to know what the ip is. My plex server, and casatunes server are very important.  I have 2 NAS that will for sure need a static ip.

With my cameras it says it is best to set static ips for them, but from what you said I can do that in the omada controller, but would I have to set the range to leave enough places for the cameras and NAS etc.

You have been so great to give me your time. I truly appreciate it.

So, if it were you, how would you set up the controller for 9 cameras with several more in the near future, 2 NAS, 1 isy994i, 1 plex server, 1 casatunes server, 1 Blue Iris server, and my main PC, which are the most important parts of the system that need to be easily found at all times.

Thanks again.

Options
2022-05-20 16:34:49

ingeborgdot wrote

@Fleegle61 in the video from the link you sent, the guy changes his ip address to 192.168.42.x ,  and not the 0.x like is default, and when he gets to the wired networks part / lan it shows the 192.168.42.1 in the gateway/subnet. Then he goes down to the DHCP range and says he should change the range that it says (1-254) to 2-254.  What is his reason for saying that? He then goes on to change it to 10-254 so he can add static address which I understand.

Can I not just leave it at 1-254 and then go in and change the address I want static to static addresses? That is a little confusing to me is all

Thanks.

@ingeborgdot You definitely want to do what he did for consistency sake.  I am not sure why TP-Link adds the .1 into the DHCP range when it knows perfecftly well thats the gateway and that IP is already in use.  Seems to confuse some folks.  And...if you are ever going to need static addresses, always a good idea to leave some available like he did.  I normally set my range for .100 to .254 and leave the .2 to .99 for static use on certain devices like cameras, printers and things that you must have set to static.  As others here have also noted...you can make .2 to .254 all DHCP and then reserve certain ones for certain devices. For those that are not super saavy, this may be an easier way to go in the long run.  So you could change your cameras to DHCP, let them get an address and then set them to fixed IP on the client config section.  That way when the DHCP timer expires, they always get the same address and your server that may be recording the cameras always knows where they are.  

If you have a small home network, its really not all that necessary to do VLANS unless you do feel a little paranoid that some of your IoT devices might want to snoop around your network, in that case putting all your IoT devices, like google, amazon, roku, washers, dryers, etc on a separate VLAN and set your ACL so that they cant reach your main or management VLAN.  But that also means that in order for you to talk to them, you may have to move over to that VLAN with your phone or laptop in order to talk to them for maintaining or configuring purposes since you wont be able to reach them per se from our management VLAN which is usually VLAN 1 or the native VLAN as its also called. 

Options
2022-05-20 16:48:04

@Fleegle61 Yeah, all of this can get a little confusing when you're not a pro like some of you guys on here.  I just don't know what the best option for my cameras are, as everyone has great reasons for doing what they are doing. Static or DHCP, Static or DHCP,Static or DHCP , Static or DHCP that seems to be the question.  I don't know what is best for the cameras.  I know my NAS have to be static for practical purposes.

d0ugmac1 has so many good points and has given some great advice also. 
Are you familiar with an isy994i? I use this with my insteon products for home automation of lights and things. I don't know how important a static address is for that. I'll check and see.
But if I want my cameras to have certain ip addresses, can I not go into clients, config and check use fixed IP address box, change the ip address to what I want it to be, click apply and it will be fixed at that address that I wanted? Does it change it in the device, or just the controller config?
Thanks.

Options
2022-05-20 17:39:07

ingeborgdot wrote

@Fleegle61 Yeah, all of this can get a little confusing when you're not a pro like some of you guys on here.  I just don't know what the best option for my cameras are, as everyone has great reasons for doing what they are doing. Static or DHCP, Static or DHCP,Static or DHCP , Static or DHCP that seems to be the question.  I don't know what is best for the cameras.  I know my NAS have to be static for practical purposes.

d0ugmac1 has so many good points and has given some great advice also. 
Are you familiar with an isy994i? I use this with my insteon products for home automation of lights and things. I don't know how important a static address is for that. I'll check and see.
But if I want my cameras to have certain ip addresses, can I not go into clients, config and check use fixed IP address box, change the ip address to what I want it to be, click apply and it will be fixed at that address that I wanted? Does it change it in the device, or just the controller config?
Thanks.

@ingeborgdot yes...you can go in and set up reserved ip addresses for all your cameras in the client config and tell the system what you want that camera to be.  But of course you do need to remove the static IP from the camera and tell it to use DHCP.  I have yet to dabble in home automation and for the most part, some of the accessories dont require a static or reserved DHCP address since you probably dont need to talk directly to them.  You definitely want to know the fixed ip address of things that you want to remotely access to configure such as cameras, NAS, printers, etc...I have a ROOST water detector by my water heater in the basement, I put that as DHCP on my IoT VLAN.  I can remotely access it via the app which talks to the cloud anyway.  For my NEST thermostat, thats also DHCP non-reserved on my IoT VLAN.  But my cameras and NAS are on my home LAN since I do need to remote into those from time to time. At some point I may get some energy to actually move them off VLAN 1 and just strictly have VLAN1 as my management LAN with nothing else on it other than the routers, switches and AP's. 

Options
2022-05-20 17:39:18

@ingeborgdot

Not familiar with your Insteon gateway...but I know what Insteon is...I'm an old X10 hack :)

Part of the hate I have for static IP's is that I used to change ISPs every few years, or gateways as technology changed...and they would also be a different DHCP subnet than the last, which meant reconfiguring all the static IPs.  Eventually I just threw my own router in there and either DMZ'd or bridged the ISP device through to it, but my old TPlink 6020 was getting pretty old and very unsupported, so I adopted the ER605 and the rest of the Omada solution.  I'm running a local controller in a Docker container on my NAS, though I have an OC200 at another site.

If you're comfy with your statics...go use 'em.  I just like to know that if I decommission a device and throw it in the box and pull it out X years later...I don't have to try to remember what IP it was assigned...if it's DHCP it'll just grab a valid one and I can just keep going.

Options
2022-05-21 03:18:14 - last edited 2022-05-21 03:20:18

I got everything going with one hiccup. I got an EAP225 and for some reason the controller won't find it.  How can I find it? That's the last thing to setup.  It found all my 245's, my EAP615 Wall and all 4 switches. Just no 225.

Options
Related Articles