Is it better to use a mesh system or the fast roaming?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-23 12:48:27 - last edited 2022-06-10 07:11:34

I have a EAP615 wall, and 2 EAP245s.  All are hardwired to the main Omada system.  Is it better to use a the fast roaming system or a mesh? Thanks.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Is it better to use a mesh system or the fast roaming? -Solution
2022-05-23 17:34:05 - last edited 2022-05-24 07:37:57

@ingeborgdot 

Hey

You may be confusing terms, Mesh and Fast Roaming are very different things.. ill try to explain

Fast Roaming is simply the ability of a client device (phone, laptop etc) to move from Acess Point 1 to Acess Point 2 without disconnecting.  Regardless of how you have the Access Points setup  (cabled or over WiFi) you will likely want to enable this

MESH is nothing to do with client devices, its basically HOW the access points will talk to each other.    If you have 2x APs and both are cabled in, no point enabling MESH.   However if you want to add an AP that's not going to be cabled into the LAN (it will connect wirelessly) then enable MESH.   In short MESH allows you to connect APs via WiFi without needing a cable connection / switch, however it will be slower as the APs communicate over WiFi and not a cable.

Hopefully that helps?  

Fast Roaming, if you have more than 1 AP enable it.  Only works on 2 or more APs which you have   ENABLE

Mesh.. don't enable it unless you want to connect APs via WiFi (not cable) 

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Is it better to use a mesh system or the fast roaming? -Solution
2022-05-23 17:34:05 - last edited 2022-05-24 07:37:57

@ingeborgdot 

Hey

You may be confusing terms, Mesh and Fast Roaming are very different things.. ill try to explain

Fast Roaming is simply the ability of a client device (phone, laptop etc) to move from Acess Point 1 to Acess Point 2 without disconnecting.  Regardless of how you have the Access Points setup  (cabled or over WiFi) you will likely want to enable this

MESH is nothing to do with client devices, its basically HOW the access points will talk to each other.    If you have 2x APs and both are cabled in, no point enabling MESH.   However if you want to add an AP that's not going to be cabled into the LAN (it will connect wirelessly) then enable MESH.   In short MESH allows you to connect APs via WiFi without needing a cable connection / switch, however it will be slower as the APs communicate over WiFi and not a cable.

Hopefully that helps?  

Fast Roaming, if you have more than 1 AP enable it.  Only works on 2 or more APs which you have   ENABLE

Mesh.. don't enable it unless you want to connect APs via WiFi (not cable) 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Is it better to use a mesh system or the fast roaming?
2022-05-24 02:32:29

@Philbert Well, I do actually understand how a mesh system works, but I am not sure how the Omada mesh system works I guess.  I had an Asus Mesh system. It was a hard wired mesh system, or that is what they called it anyway.

Thanks for the lowdown on how the Omada mesh works.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1581

Replies: 2