System without Omada router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-10 18:34:34

Hi,

I'm planning in getting an Omada Switch, few EAPs and a controller (most probably hardware one from TP Link directly), but plan in using an old, very simple router I already have (at least for now).

Will that be a problem?

What functionalities will I miss that I cannot set up directly from the controller interface?

Eg: Do I understand correctly the VLANs setup happens at the Switch?

Thanks!

Options
2 Reply
Re:System without Omada router
2022-06-10 19:39:01

@AvidLearner 

Honestly, commit to the solution, buy the router+switch+APs+controller and then enjoy the simplicity of use.  You'll pull way more than $70 worth of hair out trying to re-use your older but still perfectly good non-Omada router.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
Re:System without Omada router
2022-06-12 16:33:49

@AvidLearner 

You can indeed setup VLANs on the switch, but it will be tough to get this trunked to the WAN connection in a non omada router.   You could (and people have) used non omada hardware to setup VLANs and DHCP scopes etc, but in honesty dmac above is correct. 

If you just want one VLAN (default) and a couple SSIDs you are likely fine, other vlans, DHCP pools etc get the router

For the small extra outlay that it costs to add an ER605, just do it.. otherwise you will wish you had hours later when ripping your hair out!   :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1168

Replies: 2

Related Articles