Deco X60 and Pi Hole

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco X60 and Pi Hole

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco X60 and Pi Hole
Deco X60 and Pi Hole
2022-06-25 16:21:45
Tags: #dns
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 202111224 Rel. 46964

Greetings community,

I just upgraded to the Deco x60 and cannot use my Pi-Hole as I have used with my previous setup.

Here's what I've tried:

1. Following the steps in https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/3230/ I have successfully made the advised changes in the DHCP server section and am still unable to direct DNS traffic to my Pi-hole device.

2. Looking deeper I found in Advanced > IPv4 > Internet Connection Type, there is an enabled switch "Obtain DNS Automatically".  Disabling this switch opens the primary and secondary DNS fields, when I attempt to set primary DNS to my Pi-hole I get the following error: "This IP conflicts with the LAN IP subnet. To use this DNS Server, set it as DHCP Server." with that, setting the Primary DNS field to the DHCP server gives me the same error.  This error occurs even if I clear the DNS entries in the DHCP server section.

Alternatively, the Pi-Hole does have the option to function as a DHCP server in addition to DNS, I do not see an option to disable DHCP server in the Deco.  Perhaps I need to change the Operation Mode to Access Point?

Thank you for reading, if you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.  Also, let me know if you need additional information.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco X60 and Pi Hole
2022-06-28 09:08:25

@MattMedix 

Hi, welcome to the community.

When Deco is the DHCP server, Pi-hole also got the IP address from Deco so it could not be configured as WAN/IPV4 DNS server otherwise it would cause an IP conflict.

so the second attempt would not work and Pi-hole needs to be set up as LAN DNS server under DHCP.

And the DHCP server on the Deco is disabled on the access point so if you are trying to use Pi-hole as the DHCP server, you could set up Deco as access point mode.

Normally we will suggest setting up Pi-hole as the LAN DNS server.

Since you mentioned that even though it has been set up the LAN DNS, the clients will not direct DNS traffic to the Pi-hole device.

If you check the IP settings on the clients, what are the DNS servers on the clients, can I have a picture? (You could type in “ipconfig /all” in Command.)

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. If you are interested, please help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 749

Replies: 1

Tags

dns
Related Articles