Install Omada software controller on Debian 11 (easy, no Docker needed)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-03 18:57:31

Here is my method for installing Omada on Debian 11. It adds debian repositories for the older packages that are needed. This assumes you don't have any software on the machine that needs Java newer than version 8.

First, create a new file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ call it "omada.list" and the contents are:

Sorry I had to paste an image, instead of text that you could copy/paste. The forum software won't let me post links. Maybe a moderator can help.

Then do an apt update, then install the needed prerequisite packages:

root@debian:~# apt update
root@debian:~# apt install openjdk-8-jre-headless mongodb-server curl jsvc libcommons-daemon-java

Download the Omada Debian package from the tp-link website, and install it

Then follow the instructions. That's it, you should have the Omada software controller installed on your Debian 11 machine now. This should also work for Debian 10. No idea if it will work when Debian 12 becomes stable.

Hope this helps!

-- Kevin

Options
5 Reply
Re:Install Omada software controller on Debian 11 (easy, no Docker needed)
2022-07-03 20:22:58 - last edited 2022-10-13 11:12:09

EDIT

Options
2022-07-03 21:31:37
I understand where you're coming from. However, MongoDB is also required, and isn't available in sid. I wanted an easy solution for anyone to follow. MongoDB is available in stretch, but nothing newer. I experimented with downloading and installing MongoDB from the official website, but prefer to just pull the package from stretch.
Options
2022-07-03 22:25:51 - last edited 2022-10-13 11:12:17

EDIT

Options
2022-07-04 00:06:59

@kross Adding those repos really is a bad idea.  In large part because you can't guarantee other things won't be pulled in from those repos.

I think using a container, manually installing the packages or using a distro which has access to them are all better options.

Options
2022-08-05 10:49:14

Dear @kross

kross wrote

Sorry I had to paste an image, instead of text that you could copy/paste. The forum software won't let me post links. Maybe a moderator can help.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused. Hope it's not too late to response here. I've forwarded your feedback to the developers soon after your post, the links in the above image have been allowed to post on the community. Thank you for your valuable feedback!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 4340

Replies: 5