Load balancing unable to determine online status successfully

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-12 14:32:59
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.0 Build 20220106 Rel.56391

Hi all,

I’m trying to set up load-balancing from my ViaSat satellite connection to my Android phone hotspot.
The network topology is basically as follows:

1. ViaSat modem in bridge mode connected to first WAN port of ER605 tp-link router that provides DHCP services, which is connected to my LAN.
  2. TP-link router has another WAN port connected to a GL-MT1300.
  3. The GL-MT1300 uses my Android phone hotspot to provide load balancing to my LAN through the tp-link router.

This seems to work okay as long as my phone hotspot is actually turned on and in range. But when it is off or out of range, the tp-link router doesn’t seem to be able to detect this. That router is supposed to be able to ping the hotspot WAN link to check if it’s up, but I can’t get that to work; the ping always fails.

If I set the hotspot link to “always on” in the tp-link router, then load-balancing works if the hotspot is available.

However, if the hotspot isn't available then the tp-link still tries to use it for load-balancing and fails, leading to connection failures.

Is there some way to make this work?

Thanks!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Load balancing unable to determine online status successfully
2022-07-12 15:26:16 - last edited 2022-07-12 15:28:29

@technovelist 

Have you tried to set the Back-Up Mode to Always Primary?

May have to set it to 3:1 to make sure the router prefers WAN1 over the WAN2.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2022-07-12 16:44:38

@KimcheeGUN I'm not sure what you're referring to. Is this the setting you are talking about?

Options
2022-07-12 17:40:23

@technovelist 

Ah... I have not had enough coffee today.  I assumed you had the controller running.  May want to consider running Omada controller to get the weighted option.  

Have you tried Bandwidth Base Balancing?  It won't even touch the other WAN until the MBPs settings are met.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options