TL-ER7206 - two WAN with same subnet (and even IP address)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-18 08:58:55 - last edited 2022-07-18 09:01:06
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi.

A quick technical question - will two (or more) WAN connections on same logical subnet work in load-balancing mode?

For example - WAN1 has 192.168.10.10/24 and WAN2 has the same?

And i can't configure that.

On my view it shouldn't, so i'm thinking about installing intermediate routers that'll do logical address space separation, but i decided to ask here - maybe it will somehow work without adding stuff, as i don't know how load-balancing is done on TL-ER7206?

--

Sergei

Options
2 Reply
Re:TL-ER7206 - two WAN with same subnet (and even IP address)
2022-07-19 06:54:37

@n0p Hi,

I had run this test before. Answer: Yes but not with good performance.

Some experience:

You have to use two Modems to connect the two WAN ports. Tplink router does not support Link Aggregation on WAN ports;

Although both of WAN ports can get IP from the Modem(so the Internet works on both WAN ports), but the Load Balance seems not work well. In theory the tplink router should deliver sessions to different WAN ports via Load Balance, but actually under the test I can only enjoy one WAN.

So my suggestion is: don't use the same subnet for multiple WAN ports. It's better to have public IP on the tplink router WAN port. Tplink router is just NAT router, cannot do routing without NAT.

Options
Re:TL-ER7206 - two WAN with same subnet (and even IP address)
2022-08-19 21:19:38
The router will have trouble if both WAN's have the same IP address. The routing table which contains IP addresses can't tell which network to route the traffic to. The IP's are within the private network range. You should try and go in a configure one of them to assign a different network IP. One on 192.168.10.* the other on 192.168.11.*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1009

Replies: 2