Assign clients to VLAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Assign clients to VLAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Assign clients to VLAN
Assign clients to VLAN
2022-07-20 21:13:40
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello,

Might be a silly question, but can I assign specific clients to a VLAN without physically isolating them on a specific port of a switch?

For example, this client is connected to a switch, amongst many other clients, I am trying to force this particular client onto the VLAN "VPN", instead of my main LAN.

It doesn't seem like that device gets the 192.168.2.3 address, it seems to remain under the control of my main LAN's DHCP.

I created the "VPN" wired Network as a LAN interface with a subnet 192.168.2.1/24:

Do I absolutely have to isolate the client physically on a separate port, and assign that port to the " VPN" VLAN?

Thanks,
Alex

Options
3 Reply
Re:Assign clients to VLAN
2022-07-21 10:47:38

@LastMileStandin Hi I saw a similar post today 

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/573124

It seems that you want to use VLAN according to the client device, not according to the Ethernet port.

For tplink switch, that is called MAC VLAN, or maybe Dynamic VLAN.

However, currently the SDN controller does not support MAC VLAN, and you can only use it in standalone mode. You will need to refer to the User Guide about these functions.

Options
2022-07-21 11:56:09

@LastMileStandin 

Assigning clients to VLANs is a L2 function. Routers are L3 devices and typically have limited L2 functionality. The ER7206 is not an exception to that. To have more control over VLAN assignments, you need a managed/smart switch. Those switches let you create VLANs based on MAC addresses, subnets or protocols.

Kris K
Options
2022-07-21 13:15:14

@Somnus @KJK Thanks for your reply.

According to you, KJK, I would need to add a switch in between. The 8-port TP-Link TL-SG2008P is relatively cheap and supports Omada, so I wouldn't mind adding it right after my router.

However, based on Somnus' comment (and other threads like this one) it sounds like the problem is at the controller level (software) so I am not sure there's a way to do MAC VLAN with a managed switch. My only option would be to keep that switch unmanaged and enforce the VLAN at the switch level... which will probably prevent me from doing what I want anyway since I need to manage that VLAN in the controller (force all traffic from that VLAN on a remote VPN).

Thanks for your help, sounds like I need to hope for an upgrade of the controller.

Options