EAP225 Mesh with 4 wired APs?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-21 20:30:10
Tags: #Mesh
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there,

i have to build up a wifi for an event, not for guest, just for camera control. The WiFi should be strong and failsafe, therefore I thought a mesh could be a good idea. 

is it possible to connect 4x EAP225 to a router via Ethernet to build up a mesh? I can build a mesh with one wired an the others wireless, but when the wired one fails, all other should loose the connection right?

some ideas? 

thanks in advance!

j.

Options
1 Reply
Re:EAP225 Mesh with 4 wired APs?
2022-07-22 17:38:36

@jst-2405 

At a minimum you want 2 wired units, even if that means you have 5 APS... two wired at the same location, and 3 remotes that are wirelessly meshed.  You may also wish to leverage a dual channel strategy, so consider two wired nodes W1 and W2 and three meshed nodes M1, M2 and M3.  You could configure them such that say W1 and M1/M2 are on Ch149 and W2 and M3 are on Ch157.  This will double the amount of backhaul capacity you have, and in the event that either W1 or W2 fails, the Mx devices should eventually rediscover the remaining wired node and rejoin.

Be aware that if the mesh needs to 're-converge' it isn't fast or seamless.  It could take a minute or two from interruption until working again.

Meshing uses the 5.8G channels and I suggest you limit their use for backhaul only, and enable the standard 1/6/11 for the access.  However, you may find in practice that a million or so (usually Apple) devices are generating so much noise in the 2.4G bands (looking for wifi to jump on) that those channels become unusable for hi-def streaming.  Once you've got your setup installed and working, I'd suggest disabling SSID broadcast to further discourage interference.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 213

Replies: 1

Tags

Related Articles