FAQ Improvements and Errors on Omada SDN Controller Installation on Linux

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-28 14:31:13
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

I'm moving from running Omada controller in Docker to native mode in Ubuntu 22.04, and have read the FAQ here: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/3272/

After reading through that, there are some errors and improvements that could be made:

1. Supported Linux distributions: include Ubuntu 22.04. See below.

2. Through the entire FAQ, there are apt commands that are invalid because the -y comes just before the package name. Example with OpenJDK 8:

sudo apt install -y openjdk-8-jre-headless

Fails with "E: Unable to locate package -y". It should be replaced with the -y after apt, and in many places:

sudo apt -y install openjdk-8-jre-headless.

So this needs to be replaced and resolved. Some other places don't have the -y switch and that could be added.

3. On 3.1, Install MongoDB, the public key importing through apt-key is deprecated. This is the command that replaces it:

wget -qO - https://www.mongodb.org/static/pgp/server-4.4.asc | sudo tee /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/server-4.4.asc

4. On the Install MongoDB, Ubuntu 22.04 support can be added:

echo "deb [ arch=amd64,arm64 ] https://repo.mongodb.org/apt/ubuntu jammy/mongodb-org/4.4 multiverse" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-4.4.list

5. On How to Compile to JSVC, you could add all the dependencies into a single line:

sudo apt install autoconf make gcc openjdk-11-jdk-headless

6. And on the instructions to Download the source codes, the version is now 1.3.1. The current wget command line throws an Error 404 not found

7. On the same, it's missing the command to extract the package after downloading:

wget URL... commons-daemon-1.3.1-src.tar.gz <== updated to 1.3.1
    tar -zxvf commons-daemon-1.3.1-src.tar.gz <== missing
    cd commons-daemon-1.3.1-src/src/native/unix/
    sh support/buildconf.sh <== throw warnings but that's ok

8. Instead of creating a symbolic link, I just copy the jsvc binary to /usr/bin

sudo cp jsvc /usr/bin/

That's it. Keep up with the good work.

Options
21 Reply
Re:FAQ Improvements and Errors on Omada SDN Controller Installation on Linux
2022-07-28 15:08:14 - last edited 2022-10-13 10:53:01

EDIT

Options
2022-07-29 08:52:15 - last edited 2022-08-02 09:17:30

Dear @LucianoR,

Welcome and Thank you for taking the time to raise the errors and improvements on our documentation!

This post has been forwarded to the writer of FAQ3272 for reviewing, who has just updated the documentation accordingly, and comment as below.

2. Through the entire FAQ, there are apt commands that are invalid because the -y comes just before the package name. Example with OpenJDK 8:
sudo apt install -y openjdk-8-jre-headless

Fails with "E: Unable to locate package -y". It should be replaced with the -y after apt, and in many places:
sudo apt -y install openjdk-8-jre-headless.

So this needs to be replaced and resolved. Some other places don't have the -y switch and that could be added.

Both should be right. But we'd like to take your advice to leave as little room for dispute as possible. 

3. On 3.1, Install MongoDB, the public key importing through apt-key is deprecated. This is the command that replaces it:
wget -qO - https://www.mongodb.org/static/pgp/server-4.4.asc | sudo tee /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/server-4.4.asc

Upon the following official documentation of MongoDB, the command in our FAQ is still valid.

https://www.mongodb.com/docs/v4.4/tutorial/install-mongodb-on-ubuntu/

We'll add command for Ubuntu 22.04.  

It's confirmed that the instructions on MongoDB for 22.04 are incorrect, not support yet.

5. On How to Compile to JSVC, you could add all the dependencies into a single line: sudo apt install autoconf make gcc openjdk-11-jdk-headles

Thank you. We'll update this based on your advice.

6. And on the instructions to Download the source codes, the version is now 1.3.1. The current wget command line throws an Error 404 not found

We'll update the domain and add additional notice for it to avoid the error due to our late update.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback! Hope you have a great day!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-07-29 16:55:42

@Fae FYI, my instructions on MongoDB for 22.04 are incorrect. They still don't support that.

https://jira.mongodb.org/browse/SERVER-62300

So please delete that from my recommendations.

Options
2022-07-29 16:58:03 - last edited 2022-10-13 10:53:12

EDIT

Options
2022-07-29 17:02:20

btx wrote

@LucianoR there are few incorrect statements. As first, if you use apt and want to confirm installation of packages, the you add -y, but usually not before install, usually it is done after word install, however, there is no restriction in that part and many place -y at the end after packages. But I've never seen anybody using it after apt like you suggest.

Correct, my argument is that how it stands right now is incorrect. I use apt -y install package, but people may use apt install package -y, that's fine, but apt install -y package is incorrect and throwns an error.

btx wrote

Secondly, mongodb supported by omada is included in the repo, there is no real need to add mongodb apt, especially as you will use v4 and not the latest because omada does not support versions higher than v4 and by that step adding public key is then also nit required. 

Correct, I have amended my suggestion to exclude that.

btx wrote

jsvc can be installes from repo with apt install jsvc.

Why at all do you suggest to compile jsvc when it exists in the repo is beyond my understanding despite the fact that you actually did not write how to compile from sources. On that point same questions goes for java 8 and mongodb, why do you not compile them too.

As last you say that you copied symbolic link, I guess you created link to a binary, however, if you do compile by yourself with as example make, then in most cases make install would install the package properly.

If you do copy binaries, mostly they are used by a user and probably better place would be $HOME/bin or bin folder $HOME/.local which is protected from other users and cant be overwritten by apt install of the package. Normaly one manually compiles only if it somehow should be differently compiled due to as example cpu, os changes etc..., but if you do not change anything on default configure/make, then it is highly recommended to use package from repository.

As you already wrote a guide, you probably should extend it in full with all compilation and installation steps, otherwise nobody actually can use your guide.

Well, it's not my guide, it's TP-Link's. On their guide, they ask for jsvc to be compiled from a different version if you are use OpenJDK 11. Read the guide first. And copying to a global binary folder is because tpeap needs it. Please read the original guide before commenting on my suggestions.

Options
2022-07-30 07:31:11 - last edited 2022-10-13 10:53:23

EDIT

Options
2022-07-30 08:14:12 - last edited 2022-10-13 10:53:30

EDIT

Options
2022-07-30 09:58:27 - last edited 2022-10-13 10:53:38

EDIT

Options
2022-08-02 09:25:47

Dear @btx@LucianoR

btx wrote

You might find together with @Fae what is wrong on this statement, please read apt documentation and try at least commands before blaiming yourself with this nonsense:

Correct, my argument is that how it stands right now is incorrect. I use apt -y install package, but people may use apt install package -y, that's fine, but apt install -y package is incorrect and throwns an error.

Sorry for any confusion caused. As mentioned in the initial comment reply, both should be correct.

The reason why we modify the apt commands is to avoid any possible errors from occurring during the installation, the hope is that novice users can easily follow the guide to finish the Controller installation on Linux.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-08-02 09:46:19

Dear @btx,

btx wrote

PS: this forum drives me crazy, why the 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐥 is word 𝕘𝕚𝕥 sensitive language???? To put is as sensitive language lets a question open about inteligence of those running this forum. Please explain why is it sensitive language and how the 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐥 do you want community to talk if you put a zipper on your communities mouth?

Sorry for any inconvenience cause. I've removed the word git from the list of sensitive word. The sensitive word is mainly used to forbid foul language and stop spam posts to maintain a polite and friendly community environment. There might be some words wrongly added into the list of sensitive word, if you find any, welcome to let me know. Besides, if you have any external URLs to add in a post but the community blocks, please feel free to report, I'll ask the developer team to allow.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1824

Replies: 22