Debugging DFS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Debugging DFS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Debugging DFS
Debugging DFS
2022-07-29 16:05:30 - last edited 2022-08-01 03:10:31
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.2 Build 20220317 rel.50456(4555)

I am currently using this router in the UK with 5GHz channel 52 selected. This is a DFS channel so its possible the router might need to switch channels. When this happens I experiance lots of network congestion and drops as it moves to channel 36 which is already congested in my area. I have another routher that manages to stay on DFS channel 52 consistently so I suspect this router is switching unnecessarily? I was surprised to see there is nothing logged about DFS channel switching or if the router ever attempts to switch back (I have not observed this). So I would like to ask for 2 things

1. Add logging when DFS events occur (this should be visible in the "System Log") to help debugging when this happens and ideally the cause

2. Look at how the DFS detection is implemented as I suspect it is overly sensitive?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Debugging DFS
2022-08-01 03:17:48

Hello @JamesM 

As you already mentioned, with DFS channels selected on the router, it will need to do a scan with a local radar all the time. If the selected DFS channel is occupied it will renegotiate to an open and non-DFS channel automatically.

Do you mean you have another router that also works at a DFS channel but it will not change? Can I know which channel it works on? Does it record anything regarding the DFS channel? Can I know its brand and model also? Thank you.

Options
2022-08-01 08:35:08

@Kevin_Z 

The other router is a TP-Link Archer C7 but running Openwrt not the stock firmware. It can operate on channel 52 without switching for many weeks. Its difficult to test exactly as sometime the AX73(EU) will also stay on channel 52 for extended period (many days) this is what makes me think the channel switching is spurious.

I don't see any DFS activity on the C7 Openwrt logs, and as mentioned the AX73 doesn't appear to log anything regarding DFS events which should be fixed.

Options
2022-08-02 06:22:33

@JamesM 

I'm not sure if the DFS events can be recorded in the router log, but I would be more than happy to send this request to the team for consideration.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 409

Replies: 3

Related Articles