Device failing to connect to EAP 610: WPA Authentication times out/failed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-01 09:53:13 - last edited 2022-08-02 08:15:13
Model: EAP610  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

I have 2 smart ceiling lamps (Calex) that connect via Wi-Fi.

On my previous network set-up (pre-Omada), both of them connected without issues.

On my current set-up with Omada (with EAP 610 and where I have no issues at all with all other clients), from these 2 smart lamps, only 1 of them is connecting, and the other one is never able to properly connect (I can see it as "client" of the EAP in the controller web interface, but without IP address assigned).

When I try to re-bind the smart lamps, every time is the same: Only the same one connects, the other one fails.

When checking the logs in the Omada Controller, I can only see this:

[Failed]Attic Smart Lamp Right (Calex) failed to connected to Attic EAP with SSID "ABC" on channel 6 because WPA Authentication times out/failed.(1 time in a minute)

I can see this log entry several times, however, this log does not happen every time I try to re-bind the lamp, dunno because it just happened before recently or because this is not related at all to the issue at hand when I try to reconnect the smart lamp.

Certainly the WPA credentials of the wifi network are correct (it is the same as my old system, where the lamp was working, and the other smart lamp connects correctly (I enter the credentials only 1 for the discovery of all smart lamps).

1) Assuming the issue is related: How do I fix it? Why is it timing out and not connecting properly?

2) Else, any hint what the problem could be?

Thanks to everyone in any case!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Device failing to connect to EAP 610: WPA Authentication times out/failed-Solution
2022-08-02 08:15:08 - last edited 2022-08-02 08:15:39

@AvidLearner Found the issue: Bad coverage indeed.

I moved again (*) the EAP 610, and now the lamp connects consistently (and have much higher Rx Rate).

I was baffled as when it was not connecting, it was closed enough to have good coverage and indeed the signal ratio was even better than the other lamp that was connecting. But the Rx Rate was very very low.

Then I found this post:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/220950?replyId=539202

And indeed, the angle between my EAP and the lamp that did not connect might have been too much.

Or at least I do hope that was the issue... Still checking every now and then to see if it reconnects properly, so far so good with the EAP in the new position.

(*) P.S.: The first time I moved it, in a previous comment, since this is a EAP that mesh (wirelessly connected to another EAP; it does not have any ethernet cable), it did connect briefly then was not able to connect anymore: The issue was the EAP itself lost connection to the other EAP.

So point of attention: Be careful where you place your EAPs!!

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Device failing to connect to EAP 610: WPA Authentication times out/failed
2022-08-01 10:28:42

I don't know if it helps, but the not-connecting lamp managed to connect briefly (it got an IP address assigned... but the moment I tried to re-bind it with the smart lamp app, it failed again to connect). And in the "Statistics" of the clients for these 2 smart lamps I could see the following:

- Lamp that connects:

Signal: -53 dBm

Rx Rate: 54.00 Mbps

Tx Rate: 72.20 Mbps

- Lamp that does not connect:

Signal: -42 dBm

Rx Rate: 9.00 Mbps

Tx Rate: 72.20 Mbps

How come can the signal strength be better in the one that does not connect, yet have a much lower Rx Rate?

Options
Re:Device failing to connect to EAP 610: WPA Authentication times out/failed
2022-08-01 10:51:08

More to the topic: I changed the EAP 610 of location, just to check.

It seems briefly I was able to connect both lamps, get IP addresses for both and re-bind them in their app.

The moment I switched off the main switch of the lamps (so they go offline) and later on turn them again on... same issue happens: The same as always has issues connecting (not getting even IP address again); the log message about WPA timeouts reappears too.

Statistics of the lamp that fails to connect says now (not even IP address; seems to have WPA timeouts):

Signal: -49 dBm

Rx Rate: 1.00 Mbps

Tx Rate: 1.00 Mbps

I have no idea, it seems very random.

Sometimes it connects, most often not.

What can be causing the issue of WPA timeouts?

Thanks for any help!

Options
Re:Device failing to connect to EAP 610: WPA Authentication times out/failed-Solution
2022-08-02 08:15:08 - last edited 2022-08-02 08:15:39

@AvidLearner Found the issue: Bad coverage indeed.

I moved again (*) the EAP 610, and now the lamp connects consistently (and have much higher Rx Rate).

I was baffled as when it was not connecting, it was closed enough to have good coverage and indeed the signal ratio was even better than the other lamp that was connecting. But the Rx Rate was very very low.

Then I found this post:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/220950?replyId=539202

And indeed, the angle between my EAP and the lamp that did not connect might have been too much.

Or at least I do hope that was the issue... Still checking every now and then to see if it reconnects properly, so far so good with the EAP in the new position.

(*) P.S.: The first time I moved it, in a previous comment, since this is a EAP that mesh (wirelessly connected to another EAP; it does not have any ethernet cable), it did connect briefly then was not able to connect anymore: The issue was the EAP itself lost connection to the other EAP.

So point of attention: Be careful where you place your EAPs!!

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1163

Replies: 3

Related Articles