Any public VPN-provider (ie NordVPN) compatible with Omada?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-08 11:41:51

Hi, 

as Omada does not support Username+Password, any chance to use public VPN networks at all? 

Or is there no other way then to setup your own VPN-server in a datacenter-location of choice? (I need it to circumvent regional locks, therefore I would like beeing able to select egress location)

Options
48 Reply
Re:Any public VPN-provider (ie NordVPN) compatible with Omada?
2022-08-08 14:58:52 - last edited 2022-10-13 10:46:19

EDIT

Options
2022-08-10 20:23:49

@RobertMEF 

I don't understand why wouldn't name and password work if you include it in a text file and reference it in the .ovpn config file .

Create a text file with username on the first line and password on the second line - if the text file is named auth.txt then you can put this line in the .ovpn file .

auth-user-pass auth.txt 

This method works with other openvpn clients .  Why does it not work with OMADA ?

It doesn't work for me .

Options
2022-08-10 20:34:24

@btx 

Are you stating that OpenVPN definitely cannot be used to connect OMADA ER605 to NordVPN account ?

I guess I will try the L2TP .

To use my dedicated IP, I have to use OpenVPN .

Thanks for making that clear .  Until now, I had not seen any information about whether or not it would work and i have tried numerous attempts / methods to get some kind of connection to work .

I also tried running OpenVPN server on my notebook and then connect from my desktop using OMADA / ER605 .  Even with A no password account, I cannot get any connection from desktop to notebook using OMADA .  However, any of the generic OpenVPN clients connect with no problem .

Options
2022-08-10 21:25:24

@btx 

Well, I guess I won't be using L2TP .

Why is OMADA using obselete / outdated protocols ?

The following text is found on NordVPN site .  They stopped supporting L2TP AND PPTP about 4 years ago .

Why we have discontinued L2TP and PPTP protocols?

On December 1st, 2018 NordVPN’s servers stopped supporting L2TP/IPsec and PPTP connections.

NordVPN aims is to provide top-notch security and privacy standards to our customers. As the Internet and technology world rapidly advances and moves forward, we witness a tendency that users are shifting from using outdated, inconvenient encryption solutions to more advanced ones. L2TP and PPTP protocols are largely obsolete. Because they are so insecure, they have become incompatible with a key part of our core mission – to provide our users with industry-leading security.

Options
2022-08-11 01:10:32 - last edited 2022-10-13 10:46:31

EDIT

Options
2022-08-11 17:26:04 - last edited 2022-08-11 17:39:03

@btx 

Thanks for that information .  I will contact NordVPN about being able to connect using my ER605 .

About the the speed limits you mentioned, I suppose that you are specifically referring to limitations with TP-Link software VPN configurations and not general VPN traffic through TP-Link hardware .

Using a Windows 10 OpenVPN app, I can often get over 300 Mbps .

Funny that I saw some cheap portable VPN routers which claim they have OpenVPN and Wireguard preinstalled and are compatible with 30+ VPN service providers .

I wonder what would be the disadvantages of trying to use that in front or behind my ER605 ?

Oh - nevermind about those little portables - I kept reading and I found out that the bandwidth is very low using their VPN ...

Options
2022-08-11 18:24:25 - last edited 2022-10-13 10:46:42

EDIT

Options
2022-08-11 19:09:44 - last edited 2022-08-11 19:46:33

@btx 

I will contact torguard and mullvad and give them a test if they allow pre-sales testing  .

I already have subscription to norsk though .  I also have dedicated IP ( which is accessible only via OpenVPN ), which is why I am attempting to get that to work at present .

A few months ago, I found out what you mean about VPN providers making claims that total falacies .

The worse one I encountered was ExpressVPN .  After I signed up, they gave me a dedicated server in California when I am in Florida .  They wouldn't change it so I got a refund .  It was worse than bad . 

I get good throughput to near server using norsk .  However, the OpenVPN server for my dedicated IP is in Texas .  I think it is pretty good to get 300 Mbps frequently .

Another funny thing that I found when trying to get Omada OpenVPN to work connecting to any OpenVPN that I could find ...  I found a free OpenVPN server that worked great with Windows client app ( almost as good as the norsk VPN server in Texas ) .  Guess where that free OpenVPN is located ? ? ? France ! ! !

I tried several of the free servers and a bunch of them would not connect at all .  I have to wonder why anyone would put up a free VPN server just as I wondered about free proxy servers .  I guess they are collecting IP addresses or other traffic data .

Woah !  I just discovered something wild .  I connected to that free VPN server in France and did a speed test using speedtest dot net in a Firefox browser .  At first I was getting very low speed then I get a red box with a message saying that there was a socket error :

'

A socket error occurred during the upload test. A firewall could be blocking the connection or the server might be having some issues. Please try again later.

'

Oh yeah, had to edit to add this :

The domain for the VPN is server1 dot freevpn dot me .  That is in France .  The domain freevpn dot me apparently resovles to several IP addresses one is unknown and one is coudflare or cloudflarenet in the USA . ( Chicago )

Nothing suspicious about that - huh ?

Then, I turned off Avast and the test speed was over 300 Mbps down .  Then I disconnected from the VPN and did a test and it was 678 Mbps down and over 30 Mbps up .

So, I wonder how speedtest.net connection via a web browser is having trouble with a firewall ?  Man ! That sounds like the terminal end of the connection is trying to do things to my system ? ? ?  I don't get any warnings or problems after I turn Avast back on though .  Good thing I have backups and mutiple boot drives on this system ...

I wish I were smart enough to be able to capture all the packets coming in and see what they are doing or see if there were hits to the firewall that were being denied and what ports they were .

Well, I looked it up and apparently it is a common trouble with speedtest.net and firewall settings .

Options
2022-08-12 14:09:57 - last edited 2022-10-13 10:46:51

EDIT

Options
2022-08-12 18:45:45 - last edited 2022-08-12 18:52:47

@btx 

I still have one year left on my norsk subscription .

I am thinking about trying out torguard anonymous vpn pro account .   With a one year plan they give a TGLifetime50 promo code that brings the price down to $ 59.50 a year .

That is only about $ 1, a month, more than norsk . ( and that is for a 2 year plan )

I could test that out and if it is no better than norsk, I will request a refund .

If you do have a better discount than that - please send it to my throw-away email test2 at edlogic dot com .

Thanks again for the good information and advice .

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6437

Replies: 48