Internet Cafe style token/Wifi Access

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-08 18:10:28
Tags: #Portal #token
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I help run a communial hall in the UK and need to upgrade the wifi coverage. We have 100Mb Sychronous FTTP broadband but only 802.11.a/b/g Turbo 2.4Ghz POE access points.

I would like to change the access points to EAP245's as I have these at home and they give faultless covearge and can be configured with the Omada software.

At the moment we have a single SSID and password which we have to give out to the hirers of the hall. However I would like to use time limited tokens or pin codes so that the hirer has access during their hire period but it expires shortly afterward.

I belive the Omada software is capable of setting up tokens which might achive what I need but the maintenance of this method would be too onerous. I assume I would have to set up a new user for every hire?

Is there a way of automating this so that the pin/token relates to the date i.e. the pin/token expires at midnight and changes every day?

The alternative is to have some other software on the network like they use in Internet Cafe's but I believe this is installed on a dedicated router?

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Internet Cafe style token/Wifi Access
2022-08-08 21:32:43

@Fozzie Bear 

Hey Fozzie

Sounds like you have done your homework, yes the EAP225 would likely be a good choice for you.    You would also need an controller to allow the portal access and enable roaming / bandsteering etc, something like the OC200 should be fine.

Im guessing you have an existing switch?  If so is it POE and does it support 802.3 af/at POE?   Be worth checking that as older models sometimes do not and you may find the APs dont power up correctly as a result.   Capacity wise budget around 10watts per AP, likely less than that but better to overspec!

In answer to your question about portal access.   The pin code tickets can be generated in mass and stored for use when needed.   I havent tried this personally but looking at the setup, it seems its possible to have pre-generated codes that can be used by mutliple users and will expire after X hours from activation.

In theory that setup above should allow 10 users to use the same code (6 random digits) and it will expire / kick the users after 8 hours from first activation.   Therefore you could hand out that voucher anytime, they can then use it when in the hall (with 9 others) and after 8 hours the voucher is expired, everyone off  smiley

You could just keep a list of these codes and hand one out when the booking of hall is made.  

Options
2022-08-09 08:10:31

@Philbert Many thanks for your reply. I have just installed a Netgear GS516TP 16 port Gigabit switch with 8 ports POE that should be fine with the new APs. I am sure it supports af/at but will double check. I had planned to get the EAP245 or even the EAP265 which appears to be identical with the exception of af/at support.

I will look into the features in more detail to see if bulk token creation will do what I need. Ideally I would have loved it to integrate with our Building Management System that creates a pin code for door entrylaugh

You mention having a OC200 controller? Can I only do what you suggest with a dedicated hardware controller or will the Omada cloud software not do what I need?

Options
2022-08-09 20:57:14 - last edited 2022-08-09 21:04:16

@Fozzie Bear

Hey

Short answer to your question is NO you do not need to but an OC200

You have 3 options in terms of controller

1. Hardware Controller, purchase an OC200

2. Software Controller. You can use a server to host the Software Controller if you have something capable of running it.  Do remember this has to be online 24/7 so a normal Laptop / Desktop isnt a great idea unless you can dedicate this to being on 24/7.   Its also a bit wasteful for such a light piece of software.

3. Use the Cloud controller as you suggested. 

Some people use the Raspberry Pi and other similar devices to host the software controller, they work well and that is a very cheap option.   Myself personally i think the OC200 is inexpensive and recommend it for convenience.  Its usually priced around €60 / $60 (US), saves a lot of messing and runs from the POE switch which is perfect. 

FYI.  The Software, Cloud and Hardware controller are the same controllers, the difference is just the OC200 (Hardware Controller) is a piece of kit running the software app, Cloud controller is hosted online by TP Link, the Software controller is an app you run yourself on Linux / Windows hardware that you have in place already. 

The cloud controller should have all you need, but do remember its an internet based controller so may be slower to load the portal / authenticate etc (personally never tested it)

Options
2022-08-10 07:12:25

@Philbert  Just wanted to say many thanks for all the information and suggestions you have made. I will digest and research this (I can play with my own Omada cloud software) and then make a decision. If I go ahead I'll come back to these forums and post some sort of step by step/tutorial for others in my situation to follow.

Options
2022-08-10 14:16:51 - last edited 2022-08-10 14:17:18

One final question. If I use the OC200 as the Omada controller can this be accessed outside the local network eg via the TP-Link cloud? If not can I assign a static IP to the OC200 and port forward through the router to access it from my home?

Options
2022-08-10 15:43:24

@Fozzie Bear 

Hey

Yes you can indeed

The OC200 can be connected to the cloud for remote access, it simply requires your TP Link account to be added during setup and thats you.   It can be accessed via omada.tplinkcloud.com   at any time, or via the mobile app.  

There is no port forwarding or anything needed, should work straight out of box (unless you have some funky super secure setup in place)  :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 642

Replies: 6

Tags

Portal
token