Deco M4 Speed Issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M4 Speed Issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M4 Speed Issues
Deco M4 Speed Issues
2022-08-13 08:21:17 - last edited 2022-08-13 10:14:34
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.4

Hello,

I know there are a few threads similar to these but I have tried everything suggested and still having no luck.

The Set Up

Operation Mode - Wi-Fi Router

I have 3 Deco M4s all linked together via Ethernet. 

Distance between Living Room and Attic - 15m Cat6 Ethernet. 

Distance between Living Room and Office - 10m Cat6 Ethernet.

I have a switch taking the Ethernet from Living Room to both the Attic and Office - TP-Link TL-SG105S - https://amzn.to/3SNjN5r  

I have a BT OpenReach modern connected directly to the Living Room Deco.

Fibre Connection

I have fibre to the property provided through TalkTalk with 500mbps speed.

Speed Tests

Via Ethernet

With a Macbook plugged into the Switch in the living room I can get. the following speeds:

With a Macbook plugged into the Deco in the Office I get the following speeds:

With a Macbook plugged into the Deco in the Attic I get the following speeds:

Via WIFI - Ensured I switched Wifi off and back on whilst moving between Decos

With the Macbook connected wirelessly to the Deco in the Living Room I get the following speeds:

With the Macbook connected wirelessly to the Deco in the Office I get the following speeds:

(Didn't quite believe this one myself! But ran the test a few times switching wifi off and on between each test)

With the Macbook connected wirelessly to the Deco in the Attic I get the following speeds:

Troubleshooting - 

TX Rate - 585mbps

QoS - No high priority devices and Total Bandwidth set to 1000mpbs for download and 1000mbps for upload.

I've tried turning the UPNP off but this made no difference - Ideally would like to keep this on for gaming purposes.

I've tried switching the main deco with the office deco and switching the main deco with no luck. 

The cables are brand new - tested and work as expected.

I've also followed the following and still no luck.

Q5: What can I do if the Ethernet backhaul is not taking effect?

1.Please connect the satellite Deco to a different port on the Deco/Switch.

2.Try a different Ethernet cable.

3.If there are switches between the Deco units, please try connecting two Deco units directly by using one Ethernet cable, bypassing the switch. If the direct connection works, it seems that the issue is related to the switch.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Andy

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M4 Speed Issues
2022-08-13 13:48:29

@BrooklynCoffee 

From your description, you must be having Internet connection 500Mbps down and 100Mbps up (500/100), while wired Satellite Deco provides only 100/100 over Ethernet cable. 

There is possibility it might be Deco bandwidth throttling settings, but unlikely. If it were, you should be getting 100/100 on MacBook wired to Main Deco, too. More likely suspect is Ethernet wiring and switch. Even if MacBook is happy with it, Deco hardware might be not. Switch is gigabit, but it could have negotiated 100Mbps with Deco.

Your switch doesn't have status LED lights on switch ports, right?

This is one of the TL-SG105 switch variations. If your switch has that, troubleshooting would have been easier.

For initial troubleshooting, I would have suggested you try step 3 from Q5 you quoted, which is "connecting two Deco units directly by using one Ethernet cable, bypassing the switch." You are saying you've done that already - can you give more details how you did that. 

--------------

Also, just to cover all bases, please change QoS setting to 600 for download and to 600 for upload, then test speeds again. This should not be making any difference, but it might.

Options
Re:Deco M4 Speed Issues
2022-09-05 21:45:20

@Alexandre. 

Thanks for the reply. It turned out to be a dodgy cable after all.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 617

Replies: 2

Related Articles