DHCP Assigning the same IP to two devices - no IP reservations for those devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

DHCP Assigning the same IP to two devices - no IP reservations for those devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-12 14:39:22 - last edited 2022-09-13 14:02:01
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1

Hi All,

Is anyone having intermittent issues where the DHCP server is assigning the same IP to two different devices causing one to not be available on the network? 

Options
7 Reply
Re:DHCP Assigning the same IP to two devices - no IP reservations for those devices
2022-09-12 18:58:42

@MannyF What firmware version are you running on your 605?

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
Re:DHCP Assigning the same IP to two devices - no IP reservations for those devices
2022-09-13 00:56:04 - last edited 2022-09-13 00:57:16

@MannyF 

Yes, I had a full network blowout a couple of days ago.  In short, I was adding a new IP camera, and I accidentally assigned a duplicate IP that I assumed caused an IP conflict on the network.  I caught it right away, and fixed it, but then all of my wifi clients dropped and wouldn't re-connect.  It was very odd.  I rebooted some of my Omada equipment, mainly controller, router and main poe switches.  Wifi clients never came back up, all of my hardwired clients had no issues at first, but when looking at the IP tables in the controller, I started noticing several duplicate IP's were being assigned to some clients, which caused even more of a mess.  I also noticed 4 of my 8 Omada switches were assigned 192.168.0.1 and never updated.  It took a couple of more reboots of "ALL" or my Omada equipment before they assigned proper IP's.  The duplicate client IP's finally fixed as well.  I still couldn't get any of my wifi clients to reconnect.  I finally disabled my additional VLANs for the wifi (they worked fine last week).  I then noticed about half of my wifi clients reconnected...My android phone struggled for awhile, but eventually connected.  I tried to re-enable the VLANs for wifi devices, and they all disconnected again and would not reconnect.  I waited an hour, and still nothing... disabled vlans and they all reconnected again.  

I have similar issues on a some other sites that I have switched from Unifi to Omada equipment.  I seem to struggle on all of these sites if I venture off of the "default" 192.168.0.1 subnet.  I've done a lot of troubleshooting on these sites.  I think that Omada has a major DHCP issue as well as VLAN issues.  It seems to mainly effect wifi devices. It's very frustrating as I have been trying to transition my new install sites to Omada equipment.  I really want it to work, but have had too many issues and some of my clients are in very remote locations.  I still can't get my vlans to work again...

*all omada equipment on current available firmwares.

Options
2022-09-13 01:04:24

@MannyF 

I feel your pain...my first site I left on the default 192.168.0.x subnet for management.  I can add devices, update switch firmware, default remote meshed APs remotely... it all works and devices come back automagically.  My second site, I got cocky and picked a 10.x.x.x subnet for management...let the nightmare begin!  In short, if you don't have easy physical access to the devices and a penchant for self-harm, do your best to preserve the 192.168.0.0 subnet for your Omada controlled devices... because it will preserve your sanity.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2022-09-13 11:52:03 - last edited 2022-09-13 11:52:36

@MannyF 

You may want to look at this thread:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/581548

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2022-09-13 12:19:19

@MannyF 

Your issue is very similar to this known issue, take a look:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/581548

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-09-13 14:00:49

@Virgo   @KimcheeGUN 

Thanks - this looks like my issue. I did also see the DHCP failure as well for wired devices only, but thought I was crazy. 

Options
2022-09-13 14:01:38

@d0ugmac1 - i'm on 1.2.1

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 804

Replies: 7