Product Compatibility

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Product Compatibility

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Product Compatibility
Product Compatibility
2022-09-14 09:16:37 - last edited 2022-09-15 07:34:34
Model: EAP110-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I have a EAP110-Outdoor and all works fine when connected via the included PoE adapter. I'm trying to tidy things up a bit and wish to do away with this PoE adapter and purchased a TL-SF1005P switch with PoE. The switch does not seem to be providing PoE to the EAP110. Does anybody have any ideas why this would be? Are these devices not compatible with each other?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Product Compatibility-Solution
2022-09-14 19:22:51 - last edited 2022-09-15 07:34:34

@Battery_Boy 

Hey

The EAP110-Outdoors is a slightly older device and sadly doesnt support POE from switch (at/af standards), it can only be powered via a passive injector.   

Below is a capture of the specs for the device, it mentions only passive PoE.   It is unable to communicate with the POE switch to negotiate a supply.

On a managed switch you may be able to force POE on the port manually, this could work.  However with a non-managed auto negotiating switch this will likely fail

Interface Fast Ethernet (RJ-45) Port *1(Support Passive PoE)
Button Reset
Power Supply 24VDC / 0.6A Passive PoE Supply
Power Consumption 3.12 W
Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Product Compatibility
2022-09-14 16:07:32

@Battery_Boy 

1. Make sure the AP is NOT plugged into port 5 (that's the uplink port, and no POE is provided).

2. Make sure both the switches on the backside are OFF

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2022-09-14 17:15:59

@d0ugmac1 Tried ports 1 to 4 and switches in on and off positions but no joy.

Options
2022-09-14 18:20:24

@Battery_Boy 

Ok, are link lights on/flashing on the switch box?  Basically is the power supply module or switch hardware at least looking like it might be working?

Your cables test out ok?

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2022-09-14 19:09:39

@d0ugmac1 I have other devices plugged in to the switch that work ok. No matter which port I plug the AP in to no link lights or PoE lights come on that port. If I connect the AP to the PoE adaptor supplied with it then connect that to the switch it works ok. Is it possible that the switch gives a different type of PoE than the included adaptor? 

Options
Re:Product Compatibility-Solution
2022-09-14 19:22:51 - last edited 2022-09-15 07:34:34

@Battery_Boy 

Hey

The EAP110-Outdoors is a slightly older device and sadly doesnt support POE from switch (at/af standards), it can only be powered via a passive injector.   

Below is a capture of the specs for the device, it mentions only passive PoE.   It is unable to communicate with the POE switch to negotiate a supply.

On a managed switch you may be able to force POE on the port manually, this could work.  However with a non-managed auto negotiating switch this will likely fail

Interface Fast Ethernet (RJ-45) Port *1(Support Passive PoE)
Button Reset
Power Supply 24VDC / 0.6A Passive PoE Supply
Power Consumption 3.12 W
Recommended Solution
Options
2022-09-14 19:31:17

@Philbert Many thanks for all help. I guess I'll have to keep the PoE adaptor in circuit. It's my intention to install a camera so still need the PoE switch.

Options
2022-09-14 19:37:56

@Battery_Boy 

No worries mate, anytime

Sorry it wasnt perhaps the answer you had been after, but at least the switch wont go to waste!

The newer 2xx and 6xx range of APs all support the af/at standards so should works with that switch if you ever decide to upgrade / replace the AP. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 322

Replies: 7

Related Articles