Failed to obtain the ip address for wan because no response from the server

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-03 07:26:18
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.1

I have been getting this error "Failed to obtain the ip address for wan because no response from the server" every Sunday/Monday for the last 3-4 weeks now. 

I had the same problem with V1 of the ER605 as well. I switched to V2 this weekend just to see if that would make any difference but at 00:39-01:47AM Monday it happened again. 

I am running Omada controller on a Linux server https://hub.docker.com/r/mbentley/omada-controller wich has been working fine. 

Running the latest image of it BTW. 

When I made the switch from Er605 v1 to V2 I just removed v1 in omada and adopted the v2. 

Should I have made a total reset of the omada install and do it all over again? 

Although I don't think that this is the cause for it but it is very frustrating. 

Last Monday I did a power cycle of my er605 v1 when this occurred and within 5 minutes I had wan connection again. 

I have my isp troubleshooting if something is incorrect at their end aswell since it always happens Sunday/Monday during night. 

Options
10 Reply
Re:Failed to obtain the ip address for wan because no response from the server
2022-10-05 23:07:17

@jonas740 

if that happens at that time, even you swap it w/ a different router. it is your isp issue. not the router. 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2022-10-17 10:39:54

@Tedd404 

Funny thing however since this has happened now every night Sunday to Monday is that I tried to just pull the power of the router and when it had started up again I had wan connection. However last night same thing again and I did a reboot from the controller and the wan came alive. Short while after it went away again and I did another reboot and wan came back.

I then reverted firmware back to 2.0.0 from 2.0.1 and it has worked since then. 

Problem is that I have to wait a week now to see if it happens again. 

I have called my isp that are troubleshooting but haven't heard from them in a few weeks now. 

Gonna call em again. But I read that other people have had similar issues.. 

I have also informed mbentley on github since it is his docker controller I am using under Debian.

Options
2022-10-17 11:26:54

@jonas740 

I downgraded from some betas to 2.01 and got this today, is it the same as yours?

I haven't had this before, so it's a bug in all the firmwares and routers, to be honest I don't think tp-link will ever manage to get any routers that work properly.

There are always some problems.

Options
2022-10-17 11:34:13

@shberge 

Yep. Exactly the same thing. But I used to have the version 1 of the router and running 1.2.1 firmware might be one of the things I updated to when this started a few weeks ago. It had been running flawless until let's say 5 weeks ago. 

Some say downgrading to 1.1.1 would help. But that is the Hardware version 1.

For hardware version 2 there are only 2.0.0 to revert to and that might already have this bug. 

And this happens once a week for me. Sunday to Monday night always around that time strange enough. 

Options
2022-10-17 11:45:44

@jonas740 

there will be a new update for the routers soon, let's hope they have fixed all the bugs by then, I doubt it but I hope smiley

Options
2022-10-17 12:27:38

@shberge 

Ye, well since my hardware version 1 worked for over a year that means that on some of the firmwares they changed something that caused problems instead. 

Still have my ER605 V1 left but unused. 

Testing V2 with firmware 2.0.0

And I made a support ticket last night about it including some logs

Options
2022-10-17 15:46:58

@shberge 

Fun fact, spoke with my ISP about an hour ago and they had a note that said that they wanted me to try a new network cable between their "network outlet" to my router before they do any more extensive research in the case. 

I mean, ok I will do what suggested because he would send free in the lenght I needed so I don't mind. But very unlikely that the cable fails only on Sunday nights? 

But sure I wanted to upgrade my cables so I am hoping he sends me a really nice one. 

But i don't think the issue lies there. 

Options
2022-10-18 15:05:46

@jonas740 

I agree, the cable is probably in good condition.

Options
2022-10-24 09:09:51

@jonas740 Hi is this already solved? what did you do to fix the issue?

Options
2022-10-24 17:59:08 - last edited 2022-10-24 18:53:46

@Bryle 

No this is not solved. Happened to me again last night. 

But i am in contact with three tp-link representatives that asks me to try various things and I have sent them tons of logs. 

Even my ISP is involved but they can't see from their side that I am loosing wan. Wich is strange. 

But i do think if I remember things correct that first time it happened it looked like I had a public wan IP but the controller still said it was unable to get wan. 

This is what TP-Link wanted me to try this time:

"Try to clone your computer's mac address ?

At first, please check your computer's mac address, and then please go to setting-Wired network -internet -Mac address to customize router's mac address.

Please try to use 8.8.8.8 as the primary DNS server and 8.8.4.4 as the secondary DNS sever."

So i have set the mac address of the computer where I run my controller software. 

Also updated the controller again since there was an update today. 

Options