Verizon Home Internet Router noet sending DHCP client release to the WAN port of my TP-Link ER605

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Verizon Home Internet Router noet sending DHCP client release to the WAN port of my TP-Link ER605

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-09 18:15:44 - last edited 2022-10-18 06:59:32
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.1 Build 20220223 Rel.68551

update.

TP-Link tech support is awesome.   

They verified that the issue is with the Verizon device is indeed not sending a update to the TP-Link router when the Verizon IP number changes. 

so now I need to somehow get Verizon to update their firmware... not putting much hope on that :-(

meanwhile I'll get the Verizon out of IP Passthrough mode and do a double nat with the ER605.

========= original post ==========

I just got a Verizon LTE Home Internet router ASK-NCQ1338FA (firmware 222656), which I configured as "IP passthrough", i.e. acting as a dumb modem not a router so I can connect it to my existing TP-Link ER605

The Verizon ASK AF is plugged into the WAN/LAN1 port (configured as dynamic IP) of the ER605

everything seems to be working fine, the router is acquiring the IP number (and DNS servers) from the Verizon router/modem.

and everything else works as advertised: the load balancing, online detection and failover (when I pull the plug on the primary WAN, it failover to the secondary Verizon within 30-40 seconds), NO-IP dynamic DNS gets updated for both WAN ports, etc. 

so far so good...  

until...

the Verizon router gets a new IP assigned by Verizon (which seems to happen every few days)

the ER605 System Status and the Network WAN sections still shows the previous IP number, and the connection status say "link up"

but obviously the link is useless as there is no longer a router at the previous IP number.

the ER605 "online detection" reports that it is "offline" (because it cannot route via the previous IP of the Verizon router).

oh, also the NO-IP dynamic DNS still has the previous number reported to it, which means that I cannot access my network from the outside.

the only way I found to restore connectivity is to go into the ER605 and manually disconnect and then reconnect the WAN/LAN1 connection

and only then does the ER605 acquires the new IP from the Verizon router...

not good at all :-(

I am taking advantage of the fact that NO-IP does not get updated, and set up freshwork's free freshping monitor on the WAN/LAN1 dynamic DNS domain name, which sends me an email whenever Verizon (or the primary ISP) is "offline"

so whenever I start getting these down alert notification email messages from freshping, I have to log into the ER605 and disconnect/connect the WAN/LAN1 so that the ER605 reacquires the new IP number from the Verizon router/mode.

any idea what I might be doing wrong here?

is this a bug in the ER605?

or a bug in the Verizon router/modem?

on a previous issue, Verizon would NOT provide support because of the "IP Passthrough" configuration. they have no clue what it is...

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Verizon Home Internet Router noet sending DHCP client release to the WAN port of my TP-Link ER605-Solution
2022-10-15 21:43:23 - last edited 2022-10-18 06:59:32

update.

They verified that the issue is with the Verizon device is indeed not sending a update to the TP-Link router when the Verizon IP number changes. 

so now I need to somehow get Verizon to update their firmware... not putting much hope on that :-(

meanwhile I'll get the Verizon out of IP Passthrough mode and do a double nat with the ER605.

but but but, just realized that I have dynamic DNS set up on the ER605 which communicates the IP number of the Verizon WAN port to No-IP.

there is no DDNS settings for the Verizon device...

if I use double NAT, how would I get the actual IP number of the Verizon device to report to No-IP???

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:ER605 does not reacquire new dynamic IP when the WAN modem's IP number changes
2022-10-11 06:12:36

@AlAcrab 

Are you setting both DDNS and port forwarding on the Backup WAN?

If the link backup is in effect, the Backup WAN is offline, the data in the LAN will not be forwarded out to the WAN at this time, so the DDNS mechanism will not be triggered, and the WAN will keep the same IP address as before and will not follow the change.

However, due to the setting of the port forwarding, the external data can still be accessed in the case of WAN offline, but the internal will not initiate access to the external.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:ER605 does not reacquire new dynamic IP when the WAN modem's IP number changes
2022-10-11 18:41:22 - last edited 2022-10-11 18:52:03

@Virgo Thanks

it is really not a "backup" WAN, both WANs are active at the same time as load balancing. when one goes offline, traffic is routed only to the other.

both WANs are online all the time with the exception of when the issue happens and the ER605 does not acquire the new verizon modem IP number when Verizon changes it

I do have two DDNS with NO-IP. i.e. two domain names at ddns.net and each one gets assigned the public IP of the corresponding WAN

note that the DDNS not updating is a secondary symptom. not the primary issue.

the primary issue is that when Verizon changes the IP number assigend to their modem. the ER605 does not get the new IP number from the Verizon router, unless I manually disconned and connect the WAN (using the disconnec/connect buttons in the connection configuration of WAN/LAN1)

since the ER650 does not know about the new IP, it will not update the DDNS service with the new IP... but as soon as I disconnect/connect and the ER605 gets the new Verizon IP number, DDNS gets updated as it should.

but I believe that I have only one port forwarding... I forgot to set up forwarding on the Verizon WAN after I added it as second WAN

Options
2022-10-12 08:19:41

Dear @AlAcrab ,

AlAcrab wrote

it is really not a "backup" WAN, both WANs are active at the same time as load balancing. when one goes offline, traffic is routed only to the other.

both WANs are online all the time with the exception of when the issue happens and the ER605 does not acquire the new verizon modem IP number when Verizon changes it

the primary issue is that when Verizon changes the IP number assigend to their modem. the ER605 does not get the new IP number from the Verizon router, unless I manually disconned and connect the WAN (using the disconnec/connect buttons in the connection configuration of WAN/LAN1)

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the issue on TP-Link community!

To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue.

The ticket ID is TKID221015226, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, welcome to update this topic thread with your solution to help others who may encounter the same issue as you did.

Many thanks for your great cooperation and patience!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:Verizon Home Internet Router noet sending DHCP client release to the WAN port of my TP-Link ER605-Solution
2022-10-15 21:43:23 - last edited 2022-10-18 06:59:32

update.

but but but, just realized that I have dynamic DNS set up on the ER605 which communicates the IP number of the Verizon WAN port to No-IP.

there is no DDNS settings for the Verizon device...

if I use double NAT, how would I get the actual IP number of the Verizon device to report to No-IP???

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Verizon Home Internet Router noet sending DHCP client release to the WAN port of my TP-Link ER605
2022-10-17 18:16:53

@AlAcrab 

I had the same device in my home until Comcast came through.  Its the white cube Home LTE router.

Confirm the both devices are not on the same subnet.  Also try to put the Omada router in DMZ within the Verizon LTE router.

You may want to consider disabling IPV6 on the Verizon router.  That use to give me issues.  Just run IPV4.  

It will not show a public IP with in the Omada WAN.  This will let the ALG pass through. 

If that doesn't work... set a really good password on the Verizon box and turn off SPI firewall.  THAT should do it!  That will open up the box.  I eventually had to do this get my VPN's and Port Forwarding to eventually work.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
Re:Verizon Home Internet Router noet sending DHCP client release to the WAN port of my TP-Link ER605
2022-10-17 18:17:29

@AlAcrab 

Also... Verizon randomly updates that router.  You can not manually do it yourself.  Dont waste you time calling about it.  They will tell you to wait.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 956

Replies: 6

Related Articles