ER605 issues and firmware are embarassing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-07 17:03:36
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20220512 Rel.76748

The ER605 continues to drop my WAN connection at least once a week. I see so many threads here and on reddit about WAN connection dropping and unreliability in general of both WAN and DHCP functions with this product. My previous 30$ DLink wifi N router was able to keep 2-3 months of 24x7 WAN uptime without any issue.

It's really embarrassing that I (and countless others) have invested more money and time into a prosumer/business hardware solution that isn't even as reliable or stable as super cheap commodity router hardware/firmware. Friends and family are starting to wonder why we have so many "internet outages" here at home and that maybe my setup should be "simpler" and "more professional".

I have 4 wifi EAPs and was considering adding an Omada switch and controller in the future, but my faith in TP Link's software/firmware stability is almost gone. The next router firmware revision better be rock solid or this router is out and I am done buying any TP Link products or hardware outside of the EAP line.

Here's my latest experience today:

WAN dropped at 3AM, fixed it with disconnect/connect in WAN menu
WAN dropped at 6AM, tried disconnect/connect in WAN menu and that failed. Fixed by rebooting router.

WAN dropped at 11AM, tried disconnect/connect and got into DHCP renewal infinite loop below. Fixed by rebooting router.

Options
8 Reply
Re:ER605 issues and firmware are embarassing
2022-11-07 17:44:39

@dsj 

Are you double NAT?  a WAN IP of 192.168.100.10 indicates its on a private network and unlikely (but not impossible) to be coming from your ISP

If you are behind a router already just set the IP as static to that address?

Another clue is the DHCP leases on the WAN are expiring very quickly which indicates some kind of issue with whatever DHCP server is allocating them to you

Owner of: ER605 v1, ER605 v2, ER7206 v1, SG1024DE v4.2 and AX53 v1
Options
2022-11-07 18:24:26

@GRL I use a TC4400 Cable Modem for my ISP which is the 192.168.100.10 IP address. The cable modem does not allow the user to do any network configuration. I'm not sure which exact config you are suggesting would improve the setup.

Options
2022-11-07 19:21:59

@dsj It seems your "Modem" is a router itself and you run Double-NAT (without knowing). Try setting the WAN address of the 605 as static to 192.168.0.10/24, GW 192.168.0.1 and don't get the settings via DHCP. This should stop the fast renewal process and stabilize your connection. 

Options
2022-11-07 20:02:48

@modebm here is the result when I tried using static IP just now.

Again, this product is downright embarassing. To finish the rest of the workday, I have just switched to my DI-604 router from 2003 with 100Mb/s ports. The DI-604 immediately connected to the modem gateway and received an IP using DHCP. I am back online with antiquidated technology that will probably be more stable until I decide what to do next.

Options
2022-11-07 20:07:13

@dsj Did you also set DNS etc? NTP usually is set by FQDN, not by IP. And the WAN up and down was from your setup or instability? Did you also set the default gateway? What does traceroute say?

Options
2022-11-07 20:23:39

@modebm I set everything properly when trying the static option and the ER605 behaved as you saw by toggling the link/connection up and down repeatedly. (just like it did in dynamic)

Considering my ancient router worked immediately with DHCP and the ER605 did not many times throughout today, I am still convinced the ER605 product/firmware is very faulty. All the other issues reported in this community along with the streams of fixes and buggy betas for the product help me feel validated in that the device is the problem.

Options
2022-11-07 21:31:06

@dsj 

Its entirely possible you have a faulty 605, or a faulty cable, or a faulty modem, or its user error.  Why dont you provide a screenshot of your WAN static settings in the WAN config page?  How do we know you arent plugging the cable in and out repeatedly to generate these logs?

Have fun switching to another brand if you want, lots of companies out there have released bad firmware and software for all sorts of products, even the big names.

Owner of: ER605 v1, ER605 v2, ER7206 v1, SG1024DE v4.2 and AX53 v1
Options
2022-11-09 08:02:32

Dear @dsj ,

dsj wrote

The ER605 continues to drop my WAN connection at least once a week. I see so many threads here and on reddit about WAN connection dropping and unreliability in general of both WAN and DHCP functions with this product. My previous 30$ DLink wifi N router was able to keep 2-3 months of 24x7 WAN uptime without any issue.

I have 4 wifi EAPs and was considering adding an Omada switch and controller in the future, but my faith in TP Link's software/firmware stability is almost gone. The next router firmware revision better be rock solid or this rouer is out and I am done buying any TP Link products or hardware outside of the EAP line.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the issue on TP-Link community!

To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue.

The ticket ID is TKID221112382, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, welcome to update this topic thread with your solution to help others who may encounter the same issue as you did.

Many thanks for your great cooperation and patience!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1053

Replies: 8