Seamless link between range extenders

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-16 13:28:30
Model: EAP110  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: ?

Hi,

I am a numpty when it comes to technology, so assume you are talking to a fool (because you are)! 

I have a BT Smart Hub 2 with three TP-Link extenders in various rooms across the house. The walls are very thick (much like me) and each of the extenders have a single password that has to be inputted when in each room. Normally this is not a problem but I have just bought a sonos system and with speakers in each room they each need individual networks arranged to access the music. This I have done but if I group them together (for parties) they then all revert back to the router address and lose connectivity.

Is there some software (or workaround) I can employ that will connect my wifi to my extenders so that no separate password is necessary and I have seamless wifi coverage?

Thanks in advance...

Chris

Options
1 Reply
Re:Seamless link between range extenders
2022-11-16 21:36:35

@Boucks 

Hey and Welcome!

Another UK based user im guessing?  Also a BT customer here so might be able to help you. 

Ok so you say you are using TP Extenders, would you give us the model of these?  It should be on the back near the serial, that way I know what we are working with.

In relation to the BT Hub, sadly you cannot seamlessly roam from the Hub to anything other than the BT discs (explain below).   For seamless roaming to work the hardware has to support it, and 99% of the time needs to be from the same vendor.   Depending on the extenders you have, you could go for a TP Link One Mesh, if thats possible.. will know more with the model numbers.

Failing that a mesh via TP link is not an option, then BT Discs or Deco is the next answer for you.   BT discs are a bit MEH if honest, but cheap as BT provide them for £5 a month or something like that..  Deco is around £60 to £90 depending on how many you need, but that is a one off cost.

Mesh systems like the Discs and Deco are basically the best way to get a single WiFi around the house with roaming.   There is one base node (BT hub or Main Deco) and the other nodes dotted around your house act like repeaters bouncing the signal around as one network.    Extenders cant do this as they generally are stand alone devices and dont talk to eachother, therefore they cant "seamlessly roam" you as you move.  They also appear as 4 or however many WiFi connections which is annoying. 

Stick me through the details of the extenders you have and we can see what options are for you.

Philbert

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 424

Replies: 1