Managed switch configuration with two ISP and two switches with multiple VLAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-30 12:48:42 - last edited 2023-01-04 12:52:19
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version:

Hi,

This request does not concern any specific device but generally it is possible with tp-link basic switches.

I would like to create a network between two switches that can use 1 ethernet cable but contain one ISP IP and one LAN router IP. Please see the image attached.
I basically want one VLAN 1 directly connected to my ISP provided IP rather my own router. Then the second incoming connection should be going via a router and be accessable to the VLAN 2. The reason for one cable between the switches and just not run 2 is that the need for multiple VLAN with direct link to the ISP-switch is needed.

Is this possible to create with this for example: TP-link TL-SG105PE?

kind regards,

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Managed switch configuration with two ISP and two switches with multiple VLAN-Solution
2023-01-03 18:37:04 - last edited 2023-01-04 12:52:19

@mgabell 

The incoming fiber connection has a 4 port switch.”

I’m not familiar with anything like that so I need to assume that the two ports of Switch 1 are really connected to two separate networks. With this assumption, the switch part is very simple. In the example below, I’ll use VLAN 10 and 20 instead of VLAN 1 and 2 since VLAN 1 is a special default VLAN.

You define two VLANs in each switch, VLAN 10 (VID=10) and VLAN 20 (VID=20). Than you add the p1 ports to VLAN 10 as UNTAGGED and set their PVIDs to 10. Similarly, you add the p2 ports to VLAN 20 as UNTAGGED and set their PVIDs to 20. To make is possible for the link between the two switches to carry traffic of both VLANs, you add the p3 ports to both VLAN 10 and VLAN 20 as TAGGED.

Kris K
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Managed switch configuration with two ISP and two switches with multiple VLAN
2022-12-31 20:21:45

@mgabell 

The switch part is clear. Any switch that supports VLANs should be able to do it. The ISP part is interesting. How are you planning to handle it? 

Kris K
Options
Re:Managed switch configuration with two ISP and two switches with multiple VLAN
2023-01-03 16:39:07 - last edited 2023-01-03 16:47:04

@KJK 

Hi

The incoming fiber connection has a 4 port switch. This will provide two IP-numbers from my ISP. I just intent to connect two cables from the switch to my first TP-link switch.

So port 2 and 3 will be incoming ISP connection = IP address from their switch.
Its not that I get two connections from my ISP. A bit too much simplification from my side.

So with my two TL-SG105E I would like to link two VLAN between the two switches.

How can I do that?

It would be basically this but on the same protocol IPv4.

br,

Magnus

Options
Re:Managed switch configuration with two ISP and two switches with multiple VLAN-Solution
2023-01-03 18:37:04 - last edited 2023-01-04 12:52:19

@mgabell 

The incoming fiber connection has a 4 port switch.”

I’m not familiar with anything like that so I need to assume that the two ports of Switch 1 are really connected to two separate networks. With this assumption, the switch part is very simple. In the example below, I’ll use VLAN 10 and 20 instead of VLAN 1 and 2 since VLAN 1 is a special default VLAN.

You define two VLANs in each switch, VLAN 10 (VID=10) and VLAN 20 (VID=20). Than you add the p1 ports to VLAN 10 as UNTAGGED and set their PVIDs to 10. Similarly, you add the p2 ports to VLAN 20 as UNTAGGED and set their PVIDs to 20. To make is possible for the link between the two switches to carry traffic of both VLANs, you add the p3 ports to both VLAN 10 and VLAN 20 as TAGGED.

Kris K
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-01-04 12:30:23

@KJK Thank You very much. That worked.
What I really needed to do was ensure that the cable between switch 1 and 2 was not connected when configuring the devices. It was always showing the first config.
once I relized it was cached somehow and I managed to update both it worked just fine. 

Options