'save' controller-managed switch configuration

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-24 13:21:33
Model: TL-SG2428P  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 4.0.0

Hi, 

New to the TP-Link Omada realm, but have had many TL non-managed switches before.

Just finished setting up an on premise controller, linked to cloud, when the controller notified me of a firmware update to the SG2428P.

Great, I thought, having come from Unifi APs they always seemed to update easily and came back to service no dramas.

This was my 'core' switch though. It seemed to upgrade fine, but when it came back online the Omada controller didn't want to know about it, and wouldn't readopt with the error 'device not responding to adoption commands' or similar.

Did a fair bit of googling - had to 'manually' reconfigure the switch to some base mode of operation just via its http GUI in the interim - and really found the only solution was to factory reset the switch, let it obtain a DHCP address (from my router) and only then would the Omada controller re-adopt it.

Both Omada controller and switch mgmt IP are on the same VLAN, same subnet, so no comms issues there.

The question I really have, however; is there a way to 'reapply' the Omada-configured-configuration back onto the switch, once it's re-adpoted? I ended up just manually reconfigging it via Omada however its pretty painstaking.

As something to try for the next time, I enabled SSH and snagged the 'show run' config from the switch so maybe I could blat that back on rather than having to click through the GUI again?

That said, I would have thought Omada would be able to apply a 'past configuration' to the re-adpoted switch to make life easier. Could be associated to device Serial Number or something as a unique identifier.

Hope the next FW update goes smoother!

Cheers,

nismoau

Options
4 Reply
Re:'save' controller-managed switch configuration
2022-10-25 06:23:44

@nismoau Hi!

I have TL-SG2210P and multi-VLAN settings, but I upgraded the switch many times without any issue. It just go through upgrading then come to "Connected" status automatically.

Is there any ACL settings on your controller? Did you set up a management VLAN for the switch? For me, I just leave the default VLAN1 as the management VLAN, and all my network devices are in this VLAN IP subnet, including controller host PC.

According to the error message, it seems that your switch lot connection to your controller after upgrading. Maybe you have anti-virus/firewall that block the port used by the controller? The controller requires to use port 29810-29814 to adopt/manage the switch. And the controller PC needs to be able to communicate with the switch IP(you can use Ping command to test it)

Options
2022-10-25 13:15:04

@Somnus 

Hey, appreciate the reply. Maybe I just had bad luck - first and only time trying flashing the switch via Omada. Thru the http GUI when factory reset and non-Omada managed worked fine.

No management VLAN here either - the switch is just sitting on the default vlan1 also, as is the Omada controller (in docker). No firewall, no ACLs, no AV between them and the docker host is directly connected to my only switch (this SG2428P in question). The docker container is bound to the 'host' network so has full access to the network stack of that host just like a native app would. Docker container is the mbentley one, so highly reputable.

I'll try it again one day and see how I go.

I still reckon the main problem so far is that you can't save and reapply a switch config to an Omada managed switch when re-adpoting; you basically have to go through and reconfigure it all over again. That is of course, unless I have missed something!

Options
2022-10-25 14:06:44

@nismoau 

Probably in the same light of this post,

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/538610?replyId=1055102

Not a lot of point backing up if you can't restore :). (of course, not meaning restore the entire controller and all connected devices)

Options
2022-12-07 10:37:54

@nismoau 

For completeness, I just upgraded my switch to the most recent firmware from 4.0.3 to 4.0.4 (2nd lot of FW that has been released since I bought my switch) and this time round it went seamlessly.

Running the latest build of the mbentley/omada-controller docker on-prem software controller, cloud access-connected, and this time round YOLO-ed and used the Android mgmt app on my phone.

I suspect the first go was a one-off issue, possibly compounded by VLAN settings not having been write-memory-ed properly and/or the docker container not being accessible by the switch while / after the initial (failed) upgrade experience. Whatever the case, went well the last 2 firmware upgrades.

Good stuff, thanks TP-Link!

Options