Use Mesh or not?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Use Mesh or not?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Use Mesh or not?
Use Mesh or not?
2023-01-03 13:05:55
Tags: #Mesh
Model: EAP653  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi community,

(1)

my understanding is that building a mesh uses one (hardwired) Root-AP and ode or more (WiFi backhauled) Satellite-APs.

If the satellite-APs can also be hardwired to the network, makes it sense to still use mesh setup or would it be better to use the same SSID for all APs?

(2)

The EAP653 is supposed to be installed at the ceiling. If I install it on the wall will the wifi-range be reduced?

Thanks a lot!

Options
16 Reply
Re:Use Mesh or not?
2023-01-03 22:00:11

@dadidag Mesh is not about the SSID name, for home-use marketing teams have co-opted that name for multipule technologies bundled into "one system" name.  The basicis of mesh is the use of wifi to interconnect APs without the data transfer being obvious to the AP clients.  This is done by compressing and encrypting the data sent between AP nodes, but otherwise mesh is really just fancy wifi extenders.

If you can use a wired connection for your AP that is alwasy best.

You can still have all the APs with the same SSID/password with or without mesh, and that is true even for home systems with different brand equipment.

The radiation pattern for the ceiling mounted APs is around and "downward" when mounted on the ceiling.  So you could loose some range with it mounted on a wall, but if it is an outer wall with no need for coverage outside, then you will have no issue.  A note on the EAP653, it is a lot lower broadcast power than the EAP650.

Options
2023-01-03 22:05:24

@dadidag 

Hey and Welcome!

Hopefully some answer for you :)

my understanding is that building a mesh uses one (hardwired) Root-AP and ode or more (WiFi backhauled) Satellite-APs.

If the satellite-APs can also be hardwired to the network, makes it sense to still use mesh setup or would it be better to use the same SSID for all APs?

OK so dont mix up the Same SSID and Mesh as they are very different things.   If you are going to use the same SSID for all APs then you should really use a controller (OC200 for example).  This will allow all the APs to work as one larger network, as you move around it will roam you from AP to AP without disconnecting.   If you are just thinking of giving each AP the same SSID and Password.. you can do this but it wont work well.   The whole point of the controller is to tell the connected device to move from AP1 to AP2 when it will get a better signal, if you leave this to the device... in short its awful at it and wont move, they prefer to stick to what they know until it dies.. then disconnect / reconnect..    This is all known as Seamless Roaming (or fast roaming) and requires a controller.

Mesh is simply HOW the APs are connected together to handle fast roaming, Mesh means they talk over the WiFi rather than over a cable.  Note this will be slower as WiFi is slower than cable at all times.   If all APs are cabled then MESH is no advantage to you and I would disable it on your controller.   You do need a controller for MESH to work.

(2)

The EAP653 is supposed to be installed at the ceiling. If I install it on the wall will the wifi-range be reduced?

Not at all..  I have mixed ceiling and wall mounted with no hassles.    If you really really need every drop of signal, the ceiling is better, however, the difference is so minute its not worth worrying about! 

Options
2023-01-03 23:57:43 - last edited 2023-01-04 00:04:19

dadidag wrote

Hi community,

(1)

Unless I am missing something, if all the APs are wired you cannot MESH them. With my experience at least, when I wired 2 of our 5 APs, one central and on additional, the additional AP that was wired did not give me the option to MESH it. You could however MESH other wireless APs to either of the wired root APs.

Options
2023-01-04 00:08:27 - last edited 2023-01-04 00:10:28

@RickJamesBish 

Unless I am missing something, if all the APs are wired you cannot MESH them. With my experience at least, when I wired 2 of our 5 APs, one central and on additional, the additional AP that was wired did not give me a MESH option.

That would be correct, a Wired AP will always prefer / choose the cable connection and ignore the MESH.  

However.. should you have all your APs cabled in and MESH enabled, if one of the APs was to lose connection to the controller somehow (break in cable, switch failure etc) then it could use the MESH mode to re-establsh a connection until the LAN cable was fixed.  Once the LAN cable is fixed however it would leave the MESH and go back to cable connection.

In short you can leave MESH enabled even if running cables, it will offer you some backup should a switch fail or cable break. 

Options
2023-01-04 00:18:16 - last edited 2023-01-04 00:20:11

Ideally it's best to have all EAP's connected via patch cable, cat5e/6 or better. Then they'll all broadcast the best possible throughput, especially if your LAN is 1Gbps and your ISP provides a 1Gbps connection. If you enable fast roaming within Omada > Settings > Site > Advanced (you must enable Advanced), your devices should roam from one EAP to another, depending on wherever the signal is strongest.

The term "mesh" is defined somewhat differently across different manufacturers. With TP-Link, Mesh simply means the EAPs integrate with one another wirelessly. If the EAPs are too far from one another and not getting strong signal, the signal broadcasted by the distant EAPs will be somewhat weak with low throughput. If each of your EAPs are connected back to your gateway via a patch cable, this won't be an issue, and the EAPs can be farther apart. This is how I've set up my EAP670's and EAP610-Outdoor, and it works quite well.

Hybrid OPNsense/Omada EAP Cat6 backhaul 4 x EAP670 1 x EAP610-Outdoor Omada Controller v5.14.0.10 Win 11 Router: OPNsense Intel N5105 quad-core I226V 2.5Gbe w/16GB RAM Dual WAN Fios/Spectrum 1Gbps
Options
2023-01-04 00:23:46

@Philbert Do you know, in the scenario where the cable is lost and mesh is active, do the APs have to be on the same channel before the cable loss, or will they reconfigure if in auto channel selection?  I haven't played much with the mesh and failure modes, and have wired all my APs along with hard set channels, so I'm not expecting that fail over mode, but just curious.

Options
2023-01-04 05:02:16

@JoeSea 

Per my understanding, the Mesh unit will be forced to use the same channel as the main root AP.

Options
2023-01-04 18:25:35

@Somnus 

This is my understanding also.  It will scan the channels to find the AP and connect on that channel. 

Options
2023-01-05 05:09:17

@JoeSea 

A note on the EAP653, it is a lot lower broadcast power than the EAP650.

Hi, do you have a reference for that? EAP653 has the same radio as EAP650, the only difference is that EAP653 package does not include the power adapter.

Options
2023-01-05 06:17:35

@RamtinR Yeah here is the AP datasheet for all current Omada APs, page 13 shows the transmit powers for the 653 & 650 side by side.  For the US the 653 is 3db lower (half the power) on both bands, and EU version is 3db lower in the 5ghz upper channels.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1055

Replies: 16

Tags

Related Articles