I can't see the signal of my EAP225-outdoor AP frm approx 20 meters

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-11 16:03:38
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.7 Build 20220120 Rel. 37786(4555)

Hi,

I've purchased a Tp-link EAP225-Outdoor AP, because I need to extend my wife network also to my garden. I installed it according the Quick Setup, reviewed the setting on my laptop also and iut seems that all setting are the default ones. I installed two separate SSID for 2,4 Ghz and 5GHz.

Next to the AP it works perfectly ( I have approx 250 MB transfer speed ), however approx 20 meters from the AP I can's see the signal at all ( 5GHZ), or I have just a minimum signal level and  1 - 1,5 MB speed.

Do you have any idea what should I do?

My next question: could this AP connect to my Deco Mesh WIFI network?

THX for your help in advance

Options
10 Reply
Re:I can't see the signal of my EAP225-outdoor AP frm approx 20 meters
2023-01-11 21:04:25

@AVEDZ 

Hey

The distance this can reach is dependant on a LOT of things, it simply could be contention or the client device.  What are you using to connect to this?  

Bear in mind the signal needs to go both ways, so the AP could be sending you a very strong signal.. however your device being lower powered cant reply cleanly and that would appear as a "slow speed" and poor signal

If you use Android.. download WiFi Analyser and see what the Dbi is at distances, you are looking lower than -70 or so for good speeds (lower better).   Also try changing channels on the AP, again WiFi Analyser will show you what channels are used, just avoid them and choose something else!

No sadly it cant connect to Deco Mesh, they are very different products (Home grade vs Business Grade).  The EAP225 can do mesh, but only as part of the Omada range which is a very different thing :)

On a final note, be sure you are connected to the EAP225, as its not supportive of your existing Deco Mesh.. you may actually be connected to a different AP!  

Just my final thoughts.. perhaps this may not be the best choice for you.   Returning and changing for another Deco Node near the garden (beside window for example) or even the X50 Outdoors may be a better solution for you.   Just saying :)

Options
2023-01-12 06:23:01
Hi Philbert, I've installed a solar system on the in my backyard and would like to connect the inverter to the internet. In order to do it I have to use my iphone conttected to my wifi. Having such connection the installation is going timeout. Unfortunately to privide utp cable to the solar is not an option. Rgds Zoltán
Options
2023-01-13 05:14:09

@AVEDZ 

How high are you installing this EAP225-outdoor? Maybe try to install it lower.

Or maybe move the antenna downward(diagonally)

Options
2023-01-14 05:28:38

@AVEDZ 

Something is wrong with the connection between the AP225-outdoor and its antennas.  A simple test would be to remove both the antennas and see if that makes any difference whatsoever.  If no difference, you have defective dipole antennas, or a defective AP.  I have many EAP225-outdoor and they transmit quite a bit farther than 20m without issue.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-01-14 11:21:26 - last edited 2023-01-16 09:37:32

@AVEDZ   You mention you cannot even see or have extremely weak signal and that you are using a laptop for setup. Have you tried other wireless devices at that distance or just the laptop? Wi-fi adapters in laptops can be just as flakey as phones.  I would try another wireless device and see if you get the same results. If you use a phone, remove it from any case as they can drastically reduce range.

Any information you can provide on the install would be helpful such as install height, against wall or above, any obstacles between AP and desired location for reception, antenna orientation  (straight up on both).

Options
2023-01-15 21:35:08

@d0ugmac1 

Personally I wouldnt be jumping straight to an AP issue, its the least likely solution.

If you can get an Android device, install WiFi analyser and post a screenie here of the results at 20m.  This will indicate what is going on.  

Also Apple devices, dont use Apple devices to test WiFi.. they lie! 

Options
2023-01-16 14:37:31

A number of people have been a bit sceptical about my assertion that the AP could be the fault.  I think we all agree there is a terrible mismatch in performance at 20m for this brand new AP, regardless of the test device, which I have assumed has been around a while (the laptop) and which works just fine with his Deco system.  Probability says the new variable is likely this issue, and in fact, the problem described is exactly what would happen if the external antennas were not connected.  This AP (with its antennas installed) should perform better than what's been reported at 200m (the six I have do), never mind 20m.  I'm not saying its 100% likely, just more than 50%, and worth the test.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-01-16 15:03:06

@d0ugmac1 no I agree it could be the AP. It's probably more feasible to start a process of elimination by using devices you have and eliminating them as the issue. As far as the Deco system and laptop, what range has it been working fine?  If it has always been used in close proximity to thrle Deco system then you cant rule it out as having range issue. To many assumptions. If you try several devices and get the same results then you know where to turn your attention.  

Options
2023-01-16 23:27:53

@d0ugmac1 

My concern is the OP is using an Apple device to make this assertation, likely an iphone which is arguably the worst phone to base this decision on.  We dont have details on the connection, RSSI or even device being used for testing, to make recommendations to change / RMA devices without basic testing imho is just crazy

If we had 4 or 5 results from 2 or 3 devices then we could advise better, however with lack of anything really concrete its just guesswork at this stage.  One should therefore avoid just claiming faulty hardware, not claiming you are wrong.. just think its a tad too early

Options
2023-01-17 15:08:17

@Philbert yes he specifically does mention iphone in a follow up post. I agree he needs to try different devices at the very least to rule out the device itself. If he has the same issue with multiple devices then he can turn his attention elsewhere.

I see what d0ugmac1 is saying though, the drastic short range, with good performance up close, does sound almost like the AP is operating without the antennas, but again you can't determine that without trying multiple devices.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 910

Replies: 10

Related Articles