er605 as multilane router for incoming traffic

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-18 12:42:00
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I'm facing problem setting multi ISP connection from internet.

Everything works fine for outgoing traffic, but incoming ports are closed on second WAN, when both are connected.

When I try to reach for example 443 on my first WAN, i'm being redirected ( via virtual server ) to my destination LAN host, but on the other WAN ( which also is connected and configured in virtual server), there is no response.

Detaching first WAN leads to port being accessible on WAN2

Is it possible to configure ER605 for multi-wan incoming traffic, or is it router only for load balancing/backup for outgoing flow.

Options
6 Reply
Re:er605 as multilane router for incoming traffic
2023-06-06 15:01:06

I need exactly this also... thought it would be possible as both connections are 'Connected' at once, but my (now) thorough testing using WAN0 as Starlink and WAN1 as standard Internet connection (which has been my default until now).

Note: I know I cannot get inbound connectivity with Starlink, I am not intending to - I want INBOUND connections to come in via my static line on WAN1 and outbound to go out on WAN0 through Starlink at the faster connection. Inbound can be slow on the static line.

Using an AWS EC2 instance in London, connecting to it via a 4g connection on an iPad (so is from a routing perspective completely isolated from any sort of magic-router shortcuts) and performing curl requests back to a DNS'd home address (which is known as alive and working).

Whilst testing, I've got a laptop local to the network performing looped curl requests to ifconfig[dot]me to get my internet exposed IP...

• When Load balancing is OFF, and the connections set to WAN0 (Starlink) -> WAN1 (BT) Failover only - NO inbound routing is possible at all, I get constant outbound connection on a Starlink IP and timeouts on the EC2 node performing curl requests back to my network.
  • ^ The above, but severing (either physically or by 'disconnecting' it in the Web UI for the load balancer) and it fails over to WAN1 - Inbound comms suddenly starts working and my curl requests from the EC2 node return success and my exposed IP is my BT one
  • When load balancing is ON, and either failover is on or off, it made no difference - when my laptop showed Starlink, NO inbound comms... when the laptop showed the BT IP - Inbound worked.. and it when set to 1:1 balancing ratio successfully perfom this flip flop between connections opening and closing the inbound comms whenever the outbound comms did...

So i'm pretty sure that inbound communications only work, when the connection that requests are expected to come in on, is the active outbound connection in the load balancer.

=(

Options
2023-08-13 09:25:09

@kdnets 

Hello guys,

Hope you are well.

I am interrested by the ER605 router. I want to configure it with 2 wan connections : 1 Starlink and one local DSL slow provider.

So I'll setup load balancing with low priority on the DSL and high priority on the starlink for outbound trafic.

But I need to connect through outside to services inside the internal network without VPN.

Starlink don't have external fixed IP so no trafic can get in through starlink link.

I see you've got problem with this kind of config.

Is it possible to setup inbound connexion and port redirection through only the DSL link ?

Did you found a solution ?

Thanks

Daveledave

Options
2023-08-13 21:13:05

@Daveledave 

Hey,

I'm afraid I never found a solution I stuck with - all my nights and nights of testing various configurations ended up in pretty much my last statement ringing true, 100% of the time:

inbound communications only work, when the connection that requests are expected to come in on, is the active outbound connection in the load balancer.

The only way I could get close to what I wanted - "Outbound on Starlink, inbound on DSL" was to Y-Split the Inbound DSL at the DSL router, with one port going straight to a secondary LAN on the internal target server, and another going into WAN1 of the ER605.

This gave me static IP inbound routing straight to the internal server and also failover of the main connection.

It also however introduced internal routing issues as the server then had to be configured on the server to know which LAN port to respond on for incoming connections (as it would need to send responses back out of LAN2->DSL... this then got more complex with my multi node docker based home lab config and I just lost the love for sitting into the early hours trying to configure it to spend £75 a month on what was for me; with zero obstructions reported via the Starlink App - anywhere between a flakey 8MB and 100MB at best, but never stable and sometimes less than my DSL connection.

Options
2023-08-13 21:26:24

@MrStreeter 

Thanks for your answer MrStreeter !

Too sad to hear that. It would have been great that the router work as we are both looking it to work (I suppose other users will have the same issue).

In the function proposed it seems to be able to receive incoming traffic... And it shouldn't disconnect with the outgoing wan balancer.

I won't buy this router you made me avoid hours of searching like you did.

Thanks !

David

Options
2023-08-13 22:15:40

@MrStreeter 

Re,

It seems that there is Ubiquiti Networks ER-X which is the competitor of the TP-link.

On this router they say that it seems to be possible :

portforward. com/ubiquiti/edgerouter-x/

But I don't know if it's the same problem with the load balancer on... I didn't foud a post about it.

David

Options
2023-08-14 07:07:30 - last edited 2023-08-14 07:07:57

@Daveledave 

Hey, yeah - sadly I don't think this specific load balancer is what we need for what we want - dual active connections - and what we need is one with that feature "Dual Active Connections"

I'm not sure if this is the correct technical terminology to be honest - but it feels like it =)

What the ER605 has is dual interfaces, but only a single one can be 'active' at a time.

Sadly the minimal gain of connectivity with Starlink 'for me, at my location' didn't warrant me continuing the investigation or investment into other equipment to figure out and was at the end of my 30 days with Starlink for a full refund return.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 638

Replies: 6