wifi extension from home to barn (200 feet away)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-20 14:28:39 - last edited 2023-01-21 06:56:28

Looking for a solution to get my wifi signal from my house out to the barn.  I need to run a security camera in the barn.  Running a hard wire line isn't an option due to a bunch of asphalt in the way.  I think I need an "extender" but I need one that can be outside in the elements and can be hard wired (no outlets there to plug into).  I do, however, have a light pole that I could put the device on and hard wire it there, if needed.  My barn has metal sides, so should I have some sort of antenna that I can put on the outside of the barn and run a wire from it to inside the barn?  Door to door from house to barn is about 180 feet.  I run T-Mobile home internet.  I have their "trashcan" router.  No additional router on the trashcan hooked into that.  My house is brick.  The router is in the kitchen window on the south east corner of the house so it can see the tower to the east of the farm, so that router can't be moved to a portion of the house that is closer to the barn.  I think that's all the info you guys would need?  

Options
1 Reply
Re:wifi extension from home to barn (200 feet away)
2023-01-21 11:47:24 - last edited 2023-01-21 12:16:29

@jermmcdowell  Throwing in the restriction of not having a receptacle inside or outside at the location of the remote CPE kind of limits what you can use unless you plan on cutting the cord on the device. Not sure why you would not just install a receptacle on the pole or run power from the pole inside the barn to a receptacle. You do not mention what camera so keep in mind that it will need to get power to it somehow as well. Below would only apply if you have a receptacle inside the barn so it may be useless to you.

CPE210s are 2.4ghz and have a 100Mbps port  (Cost $80 for two plus cable)

CPE510s are 5ghz and have a 100 Mbps port    (Cost $100 for two plus cable)

CPE710s are 5ghz and have 1000Mbps port      (Cost $140 for two plus cable)  Exceeds your bandwidth

All are POE and come with a POE Adapter. POE adapters would be located inside the structure and you run a single ethernet cable to the CPE, which powers the unit and transfers data. There is also a LAN port on each POE Adapter to connect to a modem, router, camera or other device.

Any of the three listed will work and are not the only solution and if you are just wanting to get the camera signal to your house, and the camera has an ethernet port, you would only need the CPEs and wire.

If you are wanting Wi-Fi inside your barn I would add a wireless router inside the barn and connect it to the CPE outside the barn.  The router would then provide coverage inside as well as the option to wire devices directly to the router.

7986c59048f64053b72d5790bedc9623

On a side note. There are 4G cellular cameras out there that are battery and solar powered for around $240 but would require 4G cellular coverage and plan.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 477

Replies: 1

Related Articles