WIFI in Metal Barn Issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

WIFI in Metal Barn Issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
WIFI in Metal Barn Issue
WIFI in Metal Barn Issue
2019-11-18 12:50:40 - last edited 2019-11-20 01:19:26
Model: CPE210  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version:

I am trying to get WIFI in my metal barn around 150 feet from my House. 

I have a Archer C9 inside the house which i am able to pick up just outside the barn, Once you ender the barn i get no signal or very weak signal. I bought two CPE210s with the intention of running a WIFI bridge. I then realized i can connect one CPE210 to the Archer C9 inside the house. That one is mounted to the outside of the barn facing the house, It does have a strong signal from the home network. 

I then tried using a eternet cable to run inside the barn to a TPlink Access Point to have WIFI in the Barn. I can connect to the access point but do not have interent in the Barn. 

I am new to this level of networking but an tech savey. I am sure it is something simple i am doing incorrect. 

Do i need to use a router inside the barn instead of an access point?

I also read alot on what IP address the componits need to be on and the subnet but i am still unclear on all of that. 

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Options
1 Reply
Re:WIFI in Metal Barn Issue
2019-11-18 16:52:33 - last edited 2019-11-20 01:19:26

AWHome wrote

Do i need to use a router inside the barn instead of an access point?

No, you don't need a router inside the barn. You already had the correct idea how to set up such a network by using two CPEs and an AP in the barn.

The follwoing should work:

• Archer in your home defines the IP subnet, for example 192.168.1.0 (or whatver you did choose).
  • CPE #1 connected to the Archer's LAN should be set to a fixed IP (e.g. 192.168.1.253) of this subnet – just to make it easy to reach its web UI, no other reason.
  • CPE #2 at the barn should be set to a static IP, too, for the same reason. For example: 192.168.1.252. It must be different from the CPE #1 IP.
  • Either one of the CPE must be an AP, the other one a client. Doesn't matter which is the AP.
  • AP in the barn wired to CPE #2 should be set to a static IP, too. For example: 192.168.1.254.

Your PC/laptop/smartphone now receives its IP from the Archer by DHCP. You can test whether it works with a laptop either connected wirelessly to the barn's AP or wired to CPE #2.

If it doesn't work, try to ping the CPE #2, then CPE #1, then the Archer. Do you have IP connectivity? If not set your laptop to a static IP and try again. 

If there is IP connectivity, check the DHCP service:

Does it assign your laptop an IP? Does it assign the Archer as the default gateway? If not try to find out why DHCP is not working.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 644

Replies: 1

Related Articles